DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Problem viewing footage on another cam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/80357-problem-viewing-footage-another-cam.html)

Jim Benton November 25th, 2006 11:56 AM

Problem viewing footage on another cam

I just picked up a little JVC cam on ebay to view and capture footage so not to wear out the heads on my XL2. However when I try to view the footage on the JVC a distorted image appears for about two seconds and then disappears. It was shot in sp mode. It's able to be viewed without problems on the canon. Thanks

John Miller November 25th, 2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Benton
I just picked up a little JVC cam on ebay to view and capture footage so not to wear out the heads on my XL2. However when I try to view the footage on the JVC a distorted image appears for about two seconds and then disappears. It was shot in sp mode. It's able to be viewed without problems on the canon. Thanks

May be that's why it was on sale on ebay :-(

Have you tried recording something with the JVC and see if it plays okay with the JVC and the Canon? That would help determine if there is a fundamental problem with the JVC and/or if the transport mechanism needs aligning.

Jim Benton November 25th, 2006 02:41 PM

I've tried recording with jvc and it played ok on the jvc, but didn't try playing it on the canon yet. i found some info in the xl2 forum and saw where there might be a slight difference in the heads from one make to another. I'm not sure why all heads shouldn't be exactly the same for mini dv cams though. I'll try playing back the jvc footage on the canon and see, but what i'd really like at this point is to stop viewing my footage on this cam. Thanks

John Miller November 25th, 2006 03:32 PM

*Usually* the problem with differences between machines shows up with LP rather than SP.

Kyle Prohaska November 25th, 2006 10:02 PM

This may sound dumb and maybe im missing the problem here but what format did you record in? I know that 30p, 24p, and 60i alike are all added to the tape in the same way (unless im mistaking) but maybe that could be why? Idk it could be the heads on the camera you bought, try cleaning the heads then playing the footage back.

-Kyle

Chris Colin Swanson November 26th, 2006 12:25 AM

Is it always just the first 2 seconds? I don't know the problem but it seems like you just record 2 seconds before you record what you want. :)

Jim Benton November 26th, 2006 06:49 AM

Well, I'm shooting this project entirely in 30p. I just don't think that this would affect other camera's playback abilities though. Yes from what I've seen, it's always around one-two seconds of an image that's similar to one that's experiencing dropout and then it goes black. anyway, the lcd is not working on this jvc either so I'm going to send it back to the guy. I'll probably pick up a cheap canon for playback and capturing in hopes that this will eliminate any compadability problems.

Kevin Randolph November 26th, 2006 01:04 PM

Jim,
I shoot with an xl2 as well and have two other cameras (both older consumer grade Sonys). I haven't been able to play back anything other than 60i video on either of the Sonys.

I had called B&H about getting a deck to play back 30p (same as you to save on wear on the XL2) and the guy I talked to on the phone said that there wasn't a deck available to play back 30p or 24p. I alway thought that was a shame and with the amount of 24p footage being shot, a missed opportunity for manufactures to make a little more revenue. I mean who wouldn't like a deck, even if it was $1500, to save wear and tear on a $4000 camera?

Please keep me in the loop if you find a deck or less expensive cam that will handle 30p or 24p playback as well as standard 60i.

Thanks,
Kevin

Garrison Hayes November 26th, 2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Benton

Did you shoot the video in LP mode? that may be the problem...but if all else fails report to eBay that someone sold you a defective item.

Kyle Prohaska November 26th, 2006 08:48 PM

The Canon Optura 50 plays back all XL2 footage. I have both and they work wonderful together.

-kyle

Mark Holland November 27th, 2006 08:19 AM

JVC / Canon "incompatability"

I had a similar problem with a GL-1 and it turned out that my GL-1 heads needed cleaning. A drop-in cleaner wouldn't do it, so I sent it back to Canon. Turns out there was a slight alignment problem too.