So Many Accessories! I'm overwhelmed!??! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 27th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Major Player

So Many Accessories! I'm overwhelmed!??!

Hello all! I have finally got my camera (Elura 100)! Now that I have used it a few times and I am starting to get a feel for it, I think its time to get some Accessories. I could use your guys help here on DVinfo for some suggestions on what is a good idea to get. I plan on doing a bit of Wildlife/Nature stuff with some indie films as well. For those of you that have been following me and reading on my other post, you should already have a feel for what I want to do...

Here are the things I am looking at getting... If you have any other suggestions on stuff that is a wonderful thing to have, please let me know!
I am looking at getting a wide angel and telephoto lens plus maybe some filters, but I do not know what brand or what model for that matter. Also, what size should I get? The Elura 100 has a 27mm lens thread. Do you think I should get a step-up ring? or leave it at what it is? Should I get a 72mm step-up ring so that when I get a nicer camera that uses real lenses, I don't have to sell all of my other ones and buy new ones?
I found that I need a tripod, and one that is fluid. I have some piece of junk 30 dollar walmart tripod. What would you recommend? Without going WAAAAYYY over priced (no more then 150. even that is over priced)...
What should I use to store/transport/carry my camera in? I was thinking since I'll be doing a bit of hiking and stuff like that, I might want a backpacking one. BUt those are not the safest things are they? Should I get a pelican Case? I heard that those are awesome!
What kind of mic should I get? I so don't know anything when it comes to mics.... I know how to use an EQ, but I don't know what mics are good for what....
What editing program should I get? I am on a tight budget, So if yo ucould keep that in mind, that would be cool.
Should I get a form of a steadycam? or a better tripod? Should I get a dolly or what? I am new to all of this, and I could really use your guys/gals help!

If you could help me out, that would be great!
Thanks!
~Gabriel
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Wow, you're asking a lot.

First you're doing 2 completely different types of work so which one is the most important? If the nature type work is top on the list absolutely get a better tripod with a decent head. For the money you quoted it won't be a true fluid head and frankly there isn't a lot of choice in the $150 range but perhaps on the trading post here or the other big auction thats out there you might find something.
As for filters, definately a UV filter to protect your lens and I would get one that fits now and worry about bigger filters for a bigger lens later when you get one. What if you get a step up to go to a 72mm and the camera you get later uses an 82mm? If you're doing nature type work you might also consider a polarizing filter-that can be a help if shooting into the sky or across water.
As for carrying the gear, I know a few folks that use backpacks and their gear is well protected. You certainly don't want to be throwing it around but the ease of carrying it on your back makes up for a lot.
Again if you're doing nature stuff you don't need a dolly or a stabilizer. As for mics search thru the threads in the audio section I know there were a couple about mics for nature shooting. I doubt you'll need a mixer for that.
As for software, well, everybody has their favorite. Personally I use Vegas but some use Avid Liquid, Premiere, FCP (if you're on a MAC) Edius, it just depends. You can DL trial versions of all of them I believe and find one that you're comfortable with the workflow.
Now if you're doing indie type stuff then a Pelican case might be nice as would a set of wheels for a good tripod and a boom with a good shotgun mic (AT897,4073a, Senn ME66,Senn 416, Rodes, Neumanns).
You need to first figure out you budget and then figure out what type of work you're really going to do and what you need to do it with then search around thru the Trading Post here and also check out some of the site sponsors to see what they might be offereing in the way of preowned gear.
HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don! Yes I did ask alot... Sorry! =) You got a good point about the lenses. What about for Telephoto lenses tho? I heard that it can sometime cause distortion? is this true? Also, what brand of lenses should I buy (I am new to all of this)? Thanks for all of the suggestions.
As for what one I will be doing more (indie films or Nature), I think I will probably make more indie films. Altho, I think that I like Nature/Wildlife more. But I just don't see that as much of an option as of now. At least not for a couple years. BTW, I do use mac, so yeah.

Thanks!
~Gabriel~
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

OK well your software options are taken care of. FCP or actually you could start off with IMovie and hone your edit skills and then as the money comes along move up to Final cut.

As for lenses I've had great sucess with Century Optics BUT they are not inexpensive and honestly I've never used a telephoto on any of my cameras (well except for my old still cameras) so I can't really state from experience but I can tell you that if there is distortion then it 's probably the lens make and not teles in general. I do know of 1 guy that uses a CO telephoto on his PD150 and it's a great lens. I use a CO wide angle and haven't had any kind of problem with it so I guess make sure of what you're buying. I know money can be tight and dictate what you get but there's an old story about the $12 cresent wrench-you know, you go to the hardware store to buy a wrench and figure the $2 wrench will do the job but what happens is you break the wrench and bruis your knuckles so you go back to the hardware store and buy the $10 wrench that does the job like butter. So now you spent $12 on a $10 wrench. Get the point:-)
Better to save the money and get the good one to start with then spend less, possibly getting an inferior product that doesn't do the job and now you still have to go out and get the good one. It's only less expensive if it does the job.
Since you seem to be leaning towards indies then again, a GOOD tripod with a semi fluid head, maybe a set of dolly wheels and possibly a glidcam or same type of unit but honestly I wouldn't run and spend a lot of money yet until you know what you really need for a shot. Get some decent audio gear, a case to carry your baby in, a UV filter and for sure a decent tripod and head.
Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #5
Wrangler

To keep things simple and manageable, I'd suggest buying one accessory at a time when you find you have a real need for it. Then learn how to use it well before purchasing the next one.
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

First things first

I couldn't agree with Michael W more...don't go hog wild without having a true need for an item. With so much out there you truly need to prioritize, and also, think long term so you don't buy the item two or three times. As in life, there are necessities and luxuries. Here's my thoughts on necessities, in order of priority...
1: Misc camera accessories, like UV Filter, Lens Cleaner, Xtra Battery, case...
2: Tripod. Figure a minimum of 450-500 bones for a good one with head. It's worth it, and unlike your camera, it'll never go out of style...True, you can buy a cheap one, but also true, if you stay with this a while, you'll also end up buying anothe cheap one.
3: Audio: Whether you get a wireless system or a good wired mic, get something. Without it, your sound is uncontrolled with ancillary sounds coming from everywhere, it is of poor quality, etc. (Also, don't forget to get some headphones, anything to monitor the sound you do get.) Put away a couple hundred for a mic, although you might get a decent one on some of the boards for around $100...
4: Lights: If you intend to shoot anything indoors or outdoors at night, any additional lights would be great. I initially used work lights (Like you'd get at the Home Depot) which while they need diffusing and some control are better than nothing. I finally saved up enough bread and bought a light kit. The advantqage of the kit is theat you will usually get color gels, multiple stands, and different kinds of light for controlling the image. ..Figure about $50-100 or so for the Depot lights, then $300-1000+ for a decent light to a light kit.
I've probably missed something, but these are the necessities. While the "luxuries" such as lens adapters etc will enhance your picture, the lack of the basics (good tripod/support, audio and lighting) will never get you to the stage that enhancement will do it any good.
So, start off small and basic, then slowly get into adding more as you go and can afford it.

Enjoy

Bill
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys! I like the way you put that Bill. This is very helpful... But i am still left with Questions that have not been answered... Like, What brand of things should I get? What brand of filters, Tiffen, Century Optics, Sony, Canon etc.? And what brand of tripod? Or better yet, what model(s)?

As for audio, I have a vocal mic. But i have never really used it. As for the headphones, my camera does not have a headphone jack... So that might make things hard. Is there a way around this? It also does not have audio level controls, is this going to be a big problem?

Thanks for all of the help!
~Gabriel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion