DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Looking For cost effective video switcher (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/80487-looking-cost-effective-video-switcher.html)

Blayde Stone November 27th, 2006 03:34 PM

Looking For cost effective video switcher

A local pastor in our area is trying to locate a used video switcher to route
3 Panasonic AG-456's w/svhs cables to their DVD recorder.
Any one out there have any suggestions???

Richard Alvarez November 27th, 2006 05:00 PM

Keep your eye on ebay for deals that come up. Beyond that what is 'Cost effective' to your pastor? I really really like the Tricaster ... work with it at city council meetings and such. Cost about 6 grand new. But worth every penny. You can find some good deals in used equipment for videonic switchers and the like, not as good or 'fancy' as the tricaster, but what does he need? Basic switching? Tricaster would be overkill. Is it going to broadcast with lower thirds and keying graphics? More info would help advise.

Hsien Yong November 27th, 2006 06:32 PM

I would recommend the Panasonic MX20 or MX50.
Ebay seems to have at least 1 of each.

Don Bloom November 27th, 2006 06:44 PM

Although I prefer the MX20 or MX50 (tricaster is out of my price range but WOW!) you might also look at the Videonics MX1 or MX4-get a set of 4 BW monitors (6 inch should be fine)and a preview and program monitor (color-maybe 12 or 14 inch) and you should be good to go.
check out that big auction site, they're always there.

Don

Glenn Chan November 27th, 2006 07:13 PM

The Videonics MX-1 has an annoying lag to the edits, and the unit isn't that tough (sometimes have some weird problems). Otherwise, they were the first of their kind and they do the job.

The Panasonic mixer I used once (I think it was the MX50) doesn't have that problem.

Wade Spencer November 27th, 2006 10:54 PM

I recommend looking at the Edirols...specifically, the LVS-400.

The videonics are quite cheap, in my opinion. I'd stay away from them. We used to sell them at work, but moved into the Edirols. They work great.

Blayde Stone December 1st, 2006 05:23 PM

Thanks All for your posts!!

Concerning a used "Video Switcher", the pastor has budget around
1100.00 to work with. We were thinking a MX-1 would be fine for
what they would be using it for [community television]. and
possibly a new switcher, Edirol might fit the bill in that realm.
I think they need a "straight cuts only" type of capability out
of the mixer.

Again ,thanks for your input.

Timothy Harry December 13th, 2006 12:31 PM

Stay Away From Videonics

Blayde,

When I was in college (2 years ago) we had a videonics switcher to direct the chapel services for the university's archive. That switcher was the biggest piece of junk I have ever worked with. If we put any weight on the palm rest, the power would turn off, if it ran more than 30 minutes, it would freeze on whatever input that happened to be selected. you had to hit the buttons with a pretty extreme amount of force to select a different input. Overall it behaved worse than a 2 year old child, and had more quirks than a mental patient. I led the charge to have the unit replaced if i was to continue directing the services. We ended up purchasing a panasonic AG-MX50. It was a GREAT board, with tons of features, they are still using this device to direct chapel services today. Panasonic has replaced the MX50 with a MX70, which I have also run. It has a few upgrades to the software and some more features, but overall they are basically the same and a great starter switcher.

Scott Ellifritt December 15th, 2006 12:46 AM

Blayde,

Check this one out: http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/
it's more expensive as it literally gives you a mini tv studio.

Blayde Stone December 20th, 2006 06:11 PM

Thanks again ,guys in forum!!!
I appreciate your input very much.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, we were putting the wraps on our Church Christmas program. Everything turn out OK.
Yes, Yes, Yes, the Tri-caster looks like a wonderful piece of equipment and I would be thrilled to have it sitting in front of us. Although, we have to stick to our budget. Maybe a miracle will happen (He is able). We are still exploring our possibilities.

Blayde @ Cornerstone Productions

Scott Ellifritt December 20th, 2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blayde Stone
Thanks again ,guys in forum!!!
I appreciate your input very much.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, we were putting the wraps on our Church Christmas program. Everything turn out OK.
Yes, Yes, Yes, the Tri-caster looks like a wonderful piece of equipment and I would be thrilled to have it sitting in front of us. Although, we have to stick to our budget. Maybe a miracle will happen (He is able). We are still exploring our possibilities.

Blayde @ Cornerstone Productions

Whatever you decide to purchase, make sure that you check and see if there is any educational discounts that your church could qualify for.