I need advice on shooting snowboarding!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 27th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #1
New Boot

I need advice on shooting snowboarding!!!

A friend and I are going to be shooting a snowboarding video in Big Bear, Ca over the next few months. We are using two Vx 2100s, and are not entirely familiar with the equipment. We have lots of competition in the area so I want our video to look the best that it possibly can with the cameras we have. I’m still not familiar with some of the lingo that the more highly educated photographers use, so in lame man’s terms what is some advice on camera settings and such that would be helpful??? Or are there any websites or books I can read up on to further educate myself???
Frank Tomkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

snow

hey frank
best advice i can give you up front is get your hands on some of the better snowbaord videos in teh industry
such anything from mac dog productions, standard films, absinth films... and the list goes on this should get you a great idea of what types of shots are being used in the industry today
you will find that the higher end of snowboarding is all shot 16mm. if you are planning to shoot freelance and sell it to companies 16 will be the standard or many companies are now accepting 24p as an alternative.
do you ski or ride ?
being a strong rider on either ski or board will help you alot being able to to shoot follow cam and not ahve the camera shake all over... if you can get your hands on a century "death lens" the 0.3x one and not be affriad to go over a jump with it youll get some great rider perspective shots you jump rite behind the rider... if your like me and your a guy whos been in snowbaording then you know all of what ive said already but if your new to it hopefully some of this helps
feel free to shoot me a line if you have any other snowbaord related questions this is one of my main areas of shooting
<MEKHAEL
Mekhael Trepanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #3
New Boot

thanks Mekhael

I guess i'm on the right track because i already have the century fisheye and i am a good snowboarder. I got into filming because of injuries. i wish i could afford a good 16mm but i can't and i have the vx2100 so i want to make that shot look as good as it can. My main question is on the settings like shutter speed, aperature and whatever else makes the color and definition look the best. Thats the stuff i don't really know a lot about.
Frank Tomkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion