Short of ideals at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Short of ideals

How does one come up with subjects to shoot? I am fresh out of them. any interesting books on the subject?
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Please forgive me if this sounds harsh, but if you aren't busting with ideas of things you'd like to shoot, so much so that you just don't have the time to get to them all, then why are you doing videography? If you are truly passionate about something you shouldn't need other people to give you ideas.

I remember when I was an fine arts major in high school. It wasn't what I really wanted to do. How did I know that? Because our summer assignment was to fill one sketchbook. I forced myself to find things to draw and still hadn't completed the book by the time September rolled around. A friend of mine (who went on to become a successful graphic designer) had easily filled THREE! He couldn't stop himself from drawing.

Now I'm 45 years old and an independant videographer and I'm afraid I won't have enough LIFE left to get to all of the projects that I want to do!

Having said that, here are a few ideas ("ideals" are standards of perfection) that you can kick around:

- Follow the recuperation of someone going through rehab. Be sure to have them tell their life story and illustrate it with photos.

- Shoot an amateur sporting event, like a motocross race or a soccer game, and set the highlights to high-energy music.

- Take a ride on a steam locomotive and get the story of how it works and why it's being preserved.

- Have a young, aspiring writer write you a short story and then together turn it into a script and shoot it using hammy friends as actors.

Anyone else have any?
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion