Canon GL2 vs. Sony DCR-VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 8th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon GL2 vs. Sony DCR-VX2100

I'm a short filmmaker and I'll be taking the plunge pretty soon. I've pretty much narrowed it down between these two. I would really love to save the money by going the GL2 route, so is the VX2100 worth the extra few hundred?

Also, is there any news on when/if the GL3 is being released?

Thanks for any input.
Randy Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't think there are any plans for a GL3. I have a GL2 and no experience with the VX. But I do like my GL2. It's a nice little cam. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Most film makers will agree I hope, that Canon cameras will give you more of a "film look" while Sony cameras more of a "video/TV" look. Other than that, consider the much better low light capability of the VX. Good luck with your filming plans!
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Major Player

VX is much better in lowlight. VX camera body looks little bit better to my mind, actually i think bottoms are also in better place. I have worked with GL2(6months) and 2 years with vx2100. And i still like vx much more than GL2. I dont really remember did gl2 had it or not, but when you switched it off it lost all the settings. Maybe it was gl1, not sure.

GL2 has quite frame mode function, its quite good for shooting some not very fast moving things. VX has a progressive scan but its useless.
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion