lavalier microphone recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 9th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

lavalier microphone recommendations?

I wanted to get the Sennheiser G2 series wireless microphones with the ME2 lav that comes with it. I hear a lot of people aren't satisfied with the Me2 Microphone.

I will be doing sit down interviews. Should I consider wired lavaliers too?
How about about Shure wired lavaliers?

Opinions?
Sal C. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I bought an Azden and love it. I've never had a problem or have been disappointed with it.

Some videographers claim they're not reliable or have poor quality. I disagree.

Here's the link
http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/custom...&cat=36&page=1
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Sal, there are pros and cons with both. With wireless they can be iffy, even on fresh batteries, especially on the less expensive models. I had an entry-level $150 Azden a while back that was very unreliable, so I switched to a Samson UHF kit; you definitely get what you pay for with audio gear (or anything else for that matter). Wireless lav mics are extremely practical, such as man-on-the-street interviews, documentaries, etc. When I can work in a controlled, situated setup, I use a hard-wire Tram TR-50 because it sounds much louder and clearer than my Samson kit with the Audio-Technica lav mic.
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sony ECM66,77, or 88 seems to be the ENG standard, and it's held up for me well enough. The included Sennhneiser lav is not up to par, of course. I have the plug-on blog and the ECM terminates in a male XLR, which gives me the versatility to switch to a plug-on handheld or use the transmitter on the lav.

If you want to stay with the bodypack, why not the omni ME-4, it requires less directional placing care than the ME-2, which is directional.

Our anchors wear MKE-2's, which are for the SKM5000 series, I'm not sure if they're available for the EW series.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #5
New Boot

I have been using the G2 mics for over a year now, in extreme cold, moisture, desert heat, in the field, Africa, Canada, S. America, etc., basically putting it through the ringer, and I can heartily recommend it. It has always been dependable and even suprised me on the range (over 100 yards).
I am tough on my gear, and the G2 has withstood the worst.

J*
Jeffry Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Sal, If you doing sit down interviews, I highly recommend you use a wired lavalier mic. Less chance of interference or noise. If you want to pick up audio "nat sound" then the azden you're talking about might work for you. Honestly. It depends on what the budget is and what you can afford. Yes We would all recommend the top of the line lectrosonics wireless mics, but if you can't afford $2-3000 for one you have to find what best suits your needs at the monent. There are a lot of mics that work. My best advice is to find one that is in the middle of your budget. Maybe not the top of the line but not the bottom of the barrel that will give you fits. Something that's reliable and works well enough for now. Azden makes a few models that should fit your needs. I recommend you got to www.bhphoto.com and look at their selection, they have a lot to offer.
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Trustee

I use the Sony Freedom WRR 805 & WRT 805 system with ECM-77B mic, and I cannot praise them high enough. A fabulous and very robust sytem. The mic is VERY sensitive, so will pick up a clear voice even if placed under clothing during windy conditions. The system will transmit over hundreds of meters.

Here is a view of the Sony Freedom system and the two other most popular systems (scroll halfway down the page):

http://www.urbanfox.tv/articles/came...cessories.html

Before the Sony 805 sytem I used to use the Sony UWP-C1 system (loaned to me by Mike Teutsch for an earlier important shoot in USA...thanks a million Mike!) and I can honestly say that, although not as robust as the 805 system, I found that the UWP system was very good and even the clip mic that came with it produce good quality sound.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion