DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   HDV & MiniDV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/81489-hdv-minidv.html)

Garrison Hayes December 10th, 2006 11:41 PM

HDV & MiniDV

I'm about to buy a Canon XH A1 (Horray!)

Now...I'm going to be shooting on an HDV Canon XH A1, but because i dont want to put any more hours on my camera's head than i have to, i'll be capturing with a Consumer MiniDV camera.

Question 1:
Since i recorded the video HD, wont the pixels all be the same size? Meaning. if the camera shrinks it down to SD size i can blow it up in Sorenson to HD size again without pixelation...right?

Question 2:
Will an SD MiniDV camera even play a HDV tape back?

Thanks

G. Hayes

Chris Barcellos December 11th, 2006 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrison Hayes
I'm about to buy a Canon XH A1 (Horray!)

Question 2:
Will an SD MiniDV camera even play a HDV tape back?

Thanks

G. Hayes

No, it won't. It will play back video recorded as SD on the HDV camera.

Best you can do is get a small Canon consumer HDV cam (HV10??) to act as a deck. Don't know if it will handle all formats.

Marcus Marchesseault December 11th, 2006 01:18 AM

Question 1: Record everything in HD onto the camera's tape. You can bring it down to SD in the computer at any time, but you can never get back detail once it is brought down to SD. Keep it as HD until the very end unless you know you will never want it as HD. It is easier to edit SD, but you lose all the extra detail once you bring it down in resolution.

You can not capture with a consumer miniDV camcorder unless you want to force the HD camera to only record SD in miniDV format. Until you can get an affordable HDV camcorder, you will probably need to use your XH-A1 as a deck.

Steve House December 11th, 2006 06:12 AM

Or perhaps one of the Sony HD decks for the edit suite?

Garrison Hayes December 11th, 2006 09:22 AM

HV10 & Other Post

I know for a fact that the HV10 suports 24f, 30f, HDV, Canon's Weird Compression ect.... I just dont have the extra money to sink into one as of right now. With the new compression setting Canon is using, will any other Consumer HDV camera (Other than Canon's Own) even be able to detect all the setting that i'll be recording in? And capture into my Editing Suite without some conversion or lessening my image size and quality?

So a SD camera cant detect HDV...?
And the Pixels get converted to SD when i capture with an SD camera... even though i "Shot" it in HD?

That Sucks.

G. Hayes

Mike Teutsch December 11th, 2006 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrison Hayes
So a SD camera cant detect HDV...?
And the Pixels get converted to SD when i capture with an SD camera... even though i "Shot" it in HD?

That Sucks.

G. Hayes

The pixels don't get converted to SD, they are not there at all. Blank when trying to capture. Nada-nothing.

I'm also looking to buy and HV-10 soon as a second camera and to capture with.

Mike

Peter Ferling December 11th, 2006 11:34 AM

It took me five years to wear out an XL1s when used as a deck. I jammed a tape in it at around three years (a different brand that gummed things up). Had a warranty repair (out for one week in the shop) and two more years of good service.

You could cut a few jobs and easily earn (save up) the difference between a cheap miniDV cam and the $1000 HD10. I doubt you'll wear out the heads of your A1 before then.

I waiting shipment of a G1 and HV10. I could have swung more for another A1, but figured I needed a small form factor cam in my kit and the HV10 will be a perfect match.