Uncoated UV/Polarizing filters...good or bad? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Uncoated UV/Polarizing filters...good or bad?

I just ordered some filters. UV and Circular polarizer. The back of the box says they are non-coated. Wouldn't these allow more lens flare than coated?
Any opinions? The price is $70 for Polarizer vs. B + H is around $200.
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Trustee

You get what you pay for. Uncoated is much more susceptible to vignetting and other imaging errors. Whether that is worth the price difference, only you can decide.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

How does uncoated vignette?
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Kino-Eye

Lens and filter coatings reduce reflections which results in improved light transmission and overall better image contrast. You will see the most dramtic difference between coated and uncoated filters in a situation where light sources areshining directly into the lens. In most cases the differences are subtle, but real. I don't understand, however, how it makes a difference as far as vignetting goes.
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Me either David?

I understand fully light transmission or at least so I thought.Vignetting would imply less light around the edges of the image. I will do coated anyway.
Thanks
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
Me either David?

I understand fully light transmission or at least so I thought.Vignetting would imply less light around the edges of the image. I will do coated anyway.
Thanks
AFAIK, uncoated in video behaves the same as uncoated in still. I'd actually expect flare to be a bit worse in a video lens because of the sheer number of elements in it and the smaller apertures used in general. Vignetting can be a problem but not due to the coating - a lot of video lenses have the lens barrel cut off right at the edge of the image circle anything that adds length to it such as a filter ring can intrude into the frame. Also note that because in many zooms the front element rotates while focussing and zooming, the distinction between a linear polarizer versus a circular polarizer becomes important if you're using it to cut specular reflections and glare.
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Steve
What's your take then on coated vs uncoated filters?
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Both linear and circular polarizers must be turned within their mount to achieve the best effect. This is one reason why I prefer a internal focus lens because it does not turn the front screw in filter when focusing, or use a matte box and place the polarizing filter in the matte box.

A good description of the difference between linear and circular polarizers is available about 5 pages down at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/pf-faq/faq-26.html

Oh, and go with the coated filters.

Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I am going with the statement that uncoated vs coated makes no difference when it comes to the vignetting question. Having been involved in prophoto for nearly 40 years and not video, I just thought maybe there was something I did not know that might be different in the video world, how, I did not know.
None the less I already decided to go with coated for "clarity" and better transmission of light approaching the lens at various angles.
Coating has nothing to do with vignetting. Although the filter itself might cause vignetting from protruding out.
The store just mistakingly sent uncoated "tradtional" filters instead of coated.

Thanks anyway:)
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Optics is optics, whether video or still <grin> and the same principles apply to lenses filters etc. Another reason to be aware of the distinction between circular and linear polarizers, BTW, for the benefit of those reading our conversation, is that the sensor blocks in digital cameras in general, both video and still, also polarize the light falling on them and so tend to interact in unpredictable ways with linear polarizers. The filter orientation that cuts glare best or makes the clouds pop out in a blue sky, for example, could end up being cross-polarized with the sensor block itself resulting in the light being completely blocked, something you'd see on a preview monitor but not though an optical viewfinder.
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Just adding because it wasn't outright stated that the wider the angle of view the more one "might" need a thinner circ polarizer to avoid vignetting, but this has nothing to do with coated or uncoated, but just on the field of view being so wide as to see to the edges of the adapting lens. This is typically not too bad a problem with film as most cameras stock lenses aren't all that wide...actually kind of normal even though called wide. Most are available in thin varieties these days with no loss of quality so might as well pick it up just in case you're going to throw it on your 10-22 or 17-40 Canon or something...

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion