A little help for a beginner, please. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #16
Major Player

@Bob Hart....You sir, have quit a way with words. But I think I got your drift....
And as for some quite time for interviews, the track we race at does have a morning and evening noise curfew, so there are times when it's quite.

@David Cummings...Yes, your right. I have been searching and reading about mic options. Just not sure yet.

@Terence Murphy....Good tip, I will definately try it.

Thanks all,
Bob T.
Bob Thieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Schreiber
Hi Bob,

Checked your vids, seems you have a bit of trouble tracking and zooming those cycles down the track.
Yes...its not to bad when I'm near the start line, but the further down the track you go, the faster they come by.

Quote:
Do you use the Cam"s viewfinder or the side Monitor ??
I've tried both...I get a better pan using the side monitor. It is a small camera and the viewfinder doesn't work very well with my glasses.

Quote:
Do you use the Tri-Pod's stock control handle ??
When I use the tripod, yes. But sometimes I use my monopod...better for walking around, but not so good for pans.

Quote:
What do you use to control the Zooming ??
All I have is the zoom button on the top of the cam, and its not in a very good place....
I have a cable and wiring diagram to make a remote zoom....just haven't done it yet. I think that may help.

Quote:
If you're using the OEM items, then I've got some suggestions. Let us know.

Harold
I'll take all the help I can get...

Bob T.
Bob Thieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Bob,

Suggestions.

1) Make up a "Cam to Head mount" that can allow the Cam to adjust vertically 180% in relation to the Head. Works great, so the control handle can stay where you need it.

2) Make up an "Telescopic (2' to 4') Single or Dual control handle(s)" setup, to allow you to sit at least part of the time during the shoot. I've made these and most always sit. If you stand, you can put Cam at up to 9' to 10', if you can put T-Pod on a riser of some sort.

3) Get and use an "off Cam remote controller" for the Zooming function.
Cheap: is Sony wired remote handle from one of their TriPods, or setting up the Cam's Infrared Remote to Cam via a fiberoptic cable. I use both of these, and made up the second one. Expensive: is any of the other wired remotes made by a number of vendors.

4) Use an "off Cam LCD monitor (of 5" to 15")" instead of the Cam's side unit or viewfinder. Much easier to watch a larger monitor, than trying to keep your eye on the viewfinder or a Cam's side monitor, especially while panning side to side (especially up to 180%). I've also made up Monitor Hoods so you can see them in the sun light. I seldom use the Cam's viewfinder or side monitor after Cam set-up. The bigger screens are so much better for those of us visually challenged.

I use these 4 items 95% of the time. Makes fast motion type Videography easy. In my experience, Soccer is the most dificult, and these Mods made it rather easy to track. Cycles on a track should be easy, the cars at Drags I've done sure were.

I'm also set up to be on full battery power for at least 12 hrs, as some of the horse shows I do last that long.

Not sure how much you want, or need, to move a round; but you can set up to make the system lite and mobile by judicious use of equipment, and maybe using a Quick Release on the Cam to change from a T-Pod to a Mono-Pod as nessary. My stuff is all PreWired, so it is pretty much "plug and play".

I can send you Pics if you send me PM with your E-Mail.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #19
Major Player

Harold....email sent.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Thieda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion