4:3 to 16:9 FHA converter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Major Player

4:3 to 16:9 FHA converter

Hi,

I'm just having my Sony DSR 370 fixed after I dropped and smashed the lens. A Canon YJ20x8.5B KRS & a adaptor to make the 2/3" lens fit the 1/2" camera body (long story - but no 1/2" 20x lens available until march) is being fitted.

This got me thinking about how to upgrade the camera to 16:9 Full Height Anamorphic - Does any one know of any converter for these cameras. I know you can get them for smaller cameras. My Sony is a good camera, not many hours after 4-5 years use, but I don't have the money to up-grade to a XDCAM-HD yet.

Any ideas would be grateful - I would like to keep as much resolution as possible without vertically stretching the image.

Cheers
Mark
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, with your camera with its 800 lines of resolution you could just mask it to 16:9, you would be left with just over 500 lines which is still pretty good (500 is what most users here start with, I would guess).

All the front mounted anamorphic adapters I have found top out at 58mm, too small for your lens for sure, or are bayonet mount for specific cameras.

There is this anamorphic adapter from canon http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news...logy/5906.html but it's almost $27,000 at B&H Photo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Canon makes a manual lens for their XL series cameras and this anamorphic is made for that lens, probably too small for your lens http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Good Luck,
Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your help. I'm supprised that no company makes an adaptor for 4:3 Pro cameras. Sony are still making the DSR 400 (4:3) so I would say there is a market there for those who wish to go 16:9.

Maybe some will read this and make one. I am always willing to talk specs, etc.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion