DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Resin Filters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/8393-resin-filters.html)

Bryan Beasleigh April 5th, 2003 03:38 AM

Resin Filters

I've been looking at the price of 3x3, 4x4 and series 9 glass filters. While I can see using glass for some effects, the Hitech and Lee filters certainly seem cost effective.

I've seen very little spoken on this topic.

I'm going to be buying a WA adapter and would rather go the shade/filter holder route.

Thanks
Bryan

Frank Granovski April 5th, 2003 04:04 AM

Resin or glass, there's some good ones in both flavours. The trick is to pick the right ones. Cokin makes some real good ones, and some real.... B+W, Heliopan Tiffen, have many good ones. For myself, I use the basics, along with some specialty ones. I realize you're going after a holder, why not just go the cheaper Cokin route? Or settle on a few specialty screw-in filters?

Jeff Donald April 5th, 2003 05:29 AM

I get many great deals on 4x4 filters from people who buy them, use them once or twice, and figure out they are not what they need. I would start out with a Cokin or two and grow from there. Lee's, Singh-Rays, Schneiders etc. can wait until your sure it's the way you wan to go. I have probably 10 to 15 Cokins and I've never been disappointed by their optical quality. But as Frank point out, they do make a few dogs.

Bryan Beasleigh April 5th, 2003 09:34 AM

I'm going to buy a wide angle adapter for my VX2K. the optex that I'm looking at has a barrel of 85mm and a filter thread of 82mm. Cokin's P system filter is 83mm,kind of at the edge. besides i'm not brazy about having a 8.95 chunk of plastic swinging around the end of a $3000 camera on the end of a $500 lens adapter.

I have been looking at better quality holders that do use the Cokin P and X. These manufacturers offer wide angle hoods as well.

Which filters are better off left as glass and are there any problems with aberations on thre resin filters?

There are quite a few different widths and thicknesses. I've noticed low cost adapter frames are available to mount the various P filters (Lee , Cokin and Hitec) in a 4x4 holder. there are also tabs to invcrease the thickness.

Can resin be used in Chrosziel or Cavision filter hoods. Chrosziel say nothing and Cavision claim yes. I asked a cavision rep and they weren't sure. Anyone with any experience?

Spo far as screw on go, they are too fiddly to change out on most locations.

Jeff Donald April 5th, 2003 01:11 PM

I've never cared for the Cokin holders either. But at $8.95 I have carved up a few making adapters for odd lenses and hoods. The rotating polarizers from Cokin are a pain, but they have some very nice warming filters combined with polarizers. Matter of fact a screw in polarizer is about the only screw in filter I use. But I'm one of those guys Frank is talking about. I don't use a protection filter.