DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   reducing vibration with tripod at concerts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/83966-reducing-vibration-tripod-concerts.html)

Clinton Vadnais January 15th, 2007 07:11 PM

reducing vibration with tripod at concerts

Hello! I have a new HDV and used it on a tripod for a live concert recently. I have a modest tripod (best at best buy) Platnum Plus 7500 Pro. When there was extreme bass I was getting some visible vibrations. I do have the image stabalizer on of course. I was thinking about some sort of foam feet for the tripod. Someone suggested the vibrapods to me but they are a retailer. I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions.

Boyd Ostroff January 15th, 2007 08:01 PM

Unfortunately, any tripod that came from Best Buy is going to be a little, um, lacking :-)

You could try some sort of foam isolation, but I think it will probably make the whole setup even wobblier. Based on your other post, I think you have a Z1 - right? A camera like that really deserves a better tripod! You will need to spend a minimum of $250 to even get into that ballpark I'm afraid, and even at that price you will have some issues.

Are you shooting at the telephoto end of the zoom range? If so, that makes the problem even worse because even the slightest movement is amplified. Try moving closer if possible and shoot towards the wide end of the zoom.

But also spend awhile reading through our tripod forum. There's extensive discussion of which tripods and heads will give you the best value on a limited budget: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Bruce Foreman January 15th, 2007 08:43 PM

Temporary Solution...

Hanging a heavy enough weight from the top of the leg junction may help here. I wouldn't try to extend the center post much if at all.

I use a very lightweight video tripod that is about 20-25 years old and often will put my hand on that junction and press down with some of my weight and that helps a lot in situations where vibration may be a problem.

Some used to use 1/2 gallon jugs filled with water for this purpose but I would not risk liquid.

You and I both need to get better grade tripods. I sold off my heavy duty ones when I closed down a studio in 1988 to take a position as a civilian photographer at an air force base.

Harold Schreiber January 15th, 2007 09:06 PM

Hi Clinton,

I use 10# leg weights at the top leg junction. I some times use up to 3 of them. They are easy to attach and de-attach. Works very well, in my experience. Simple and cheap.

I've also put a second metal pipe up the center post to increase it's rigidity, and along with an external 2" PVC pipe section, I can really lock down the Head movement if I have to raise the center post to it's max height.

I'm running a Bogen 3011 Tri-Pod and 3126 Head. I also use a 2' to 4' custom made telescopic control handle (or duals) along with a custom 180% "Cam to Head" vertically articulating mount. That allows the cam and control handle to be in what-ever positions they need to be in, independent of each other.

Can send Pics if interested.

Harold

Clinton Vadnais January 15th, 2007 09:23 PM

Some great info. Thanks. I figured this might be the wrong place to post this. I didn't think to look for "sticks" in a forum description. Should have though! Also, yes of course I realized when I had to go to Best Buy the day of the show that I was not gonna get anything too nice. It works okay for now though.

"I use 10# leg weights at the top leg junction."

Was this to say, 10 pounds? I lke the idea of leg weights. I'll have to figure out how much weight would be safe for this setup. Then think about upgrades as I'm able.

Harold Schreiber January 15th, 2007 09:38 PM

Hi Clinton,

Yes, that would be 10 lb leg weights.

Harold

Boyd Ostroff January 15th, 2007 09:58 PM

If it really is the kind of cheap tripod I've seen at Best Buy, then you should think twice about hanging 30 pounds of weight on it. That might very well cause a flimsy tripod to collapse, putting your $5,000 camera at risk...

Harold Schreiber January 15th, 2007 10:22 PM

Hi Clinton and Boyd,

I agree Boyd, that's why I mentioned the type Tri-Pod I use and the "up to" weight. I've seen the Tri-Pods at Best Buy also, and would guess that 10 to 15 lbs would be the Max, for their best units.

Harold

Boyd Ostroff January 15th, 2007 10:54 PM

Really, I think you're playing with fire to even put a pro camera like a Z1 on a tripod like that. I've had several cheapo tripods in years past. On two of them the head snapped right off without any warning, and I was only using very lightweight consumer cameras on them. The problem was flimsy plastic parts in critical places. One of these tripods gave the impression that it was fairly heavy duty. I believe is was a "Slik" tripod that I got at Ritz Camera for $80 or so. In fact, that episode made me "see the light" about the need for better quality equipment...