DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   looking for a 3ccd that shoots 24p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/83989-looking-3ccd-shoots-24p.html)

Chris Sinista January 15th, 2007 08:24 PM

looking for a 3ccd that shoots 24p

This is my first post here, but I have been reading all the wonderfull threads for weeks now. First off let me say what a pleasure it is to be part of this community. The other forums Im a part of are nowhere near as friendly or helpfull as the people on here. now with that being said...

I work for a small film company in Pasadena CA were we specialize in Info films for streaming off the net. Just recently I decided to start my own vidoegrapy business. but as of now my budget is no more then $6,000.oo for the camera, mics, batteries,tripod and bag and another $ 3,500 for a mac pro with final cut pro. So I guess what im trying to ask for is a few suggestions on what exactly I'll need to be compeitive in the biz??????? is Hi-Def neccessary?? im thinking of the fx1 because it shoots in sd and hdv but not sure if thats my best choice Id really like to get 2 cameras but I know im dreaming on that one. unless i can find a pair used for a great price. Any help with Brand names or any sort of product info would be fantastic and thank you very much in advance

John Reilly January 15th, 2007 09:13 PM

FX-1 / High Def? Suggestions...

Hi, Chris:

Welcome to the forum....you are right: the folks here are truly friendly, informed and helpful...

I love my FX-1, because it is a great value for the money and extremely good in low light situations....but it lacks the XLR audio inputs...but you can add them...

You may want to consider renting an FX-1 right there in Pasadena at Samy's Camera (talk to Carlos in the Video Studio department--he's there most days)....he's super friendly and has a wealth of information; he's a great consultant and works with Final Cut Pro and the Apple platform extensively.

I'd bounce your situation and needs off of him for some "hands-on" options....it could be a great starting point for you....also, keep an eye on the private classifieds in this forum...

Best of Luck,

John Reilly

Steven Gotz January 15th, 2007 09:59 PM

I would say that you need to decide what your business is going to provide to customers first. Then get the equipment necessary to accomplish that task. I love my FX1, but I distribute HDV on DVD-ROM for playback on a special DVD player.

If you are going to distribute Standard Definition, get a couple of good 3-CCD cameras. You need to decide on the size and feel of the camera. Try a few in your hand or on your shoulder. Maybe at Samy's?

You can get couple of Canon GL2s at http://www.bhphotovideo.com for well under $6K total including battery, bag, etc.

Chris Sinista January 15th, 2007 11:32 PM

are there any other low budget 3ccd

thank you for you replies.. the gl2 is a nice camera but i need one that shoots in 24p are there any that you know of in that same price range ??

Chris Sinista January 15th, 2007 11:40 PM

looking for a 3ccd that shoots 24p

hello again
I was wondering if any of you well educated indivuals know of any camers that are 3ccd and shoot 24p for around the price of the cannon gl2 thanks again

Chris Barcellos January 16th, 2007 12:59 AM

I'm and FX1 owner and a Sony devotee, in general. You didn't indicate the specifics of you video business. However, generally speaking, I think, with budget you are indicating, I would consider the Canon A1, primarily because of its lens, wider zoom and 24f capabilities. I would also consider V1U from Sony, because of its latitude and wider zoom range and similar progressive capabilities. You will likely be paying $1,100 ti $1,500 more for the cameras, but the capabilities for your business would be much wider.

Gareth Watkins January 16th, 2007 01:21 AM

Hi there

I agree with Chris B there... check out some of the newer models before the FX1. If you want to do videos professionally you'll have to get serious about your audio too. I have had an FX1 previously and while the images are excellent, my audio was no where near as good as with the Z1.

So you'll need to build up a good quality audio kit too. The beauty of the decent mic's, wireless units, mixers etc is that they'll certainly out live your camera...

This then means a camera with XLR inputs. While I like Sony I agree also that the Canon is probably the best small video camera of the moment.

You might also chek the second hand market..there you'll no doubt find a used XL2 or Z1 in good nick.

Regards
Gareth

Chris Sinista January 16th, 2007 09:51 AM

so nobody knows

id just like to explore my options all i really need is a low cost camera that shots 24p any suggestions ?????

Bennis Hahn January 16th, 2007 09:56 AM

Used DVX100.

Steven Gotz January 16th, 2007 10:27 AM

If 24P is what you are after, the the FX1 is not the camera for you. Oh, it can do a faked version, but you might be better off with a couple of SD cameras that do 24P the right way, like the DVX100A.

There is no way to get two good 24P HDV cameras and all the extras for under $6K. You have some high level descisions to make.

Meryem Ersoz January 16th, 2007 11:02 AM

it's not that nobody knows...it's that your kinda cross-posting similar questions:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83976

if 24p is paramount, don't get an fx-1. if 24p is paramount, as bennis already said, used DVX100s are an excellent value. used XL2s are getting cheaper by the minute as well, and there are some good sellers trying to unload them here. i can buy a good used XL2 for what i once paid for a new GL2. *sob*

GL2 is a fine camera, too, with frame mode, which looks nice, and you can get two of those in the budget you've described with a few bucks left over for more gear.

but your best bang for the buck in 24p is probably the DVX100 series....

Chris Hurd January 16th, 2007 11:46 AM

Please do not cross-post... both threads are now merged together.

A used DVX100 is your best bet. You don't need High Def for web content creation.