Misc. Open DV from 2007 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 30th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Subtitle Program that works with MOV

Dear Sirs,
I need a subtitle program that works with Quicktime *.mov files. Could anybody give me a recommendation? I want to hard burn the subtitle files into the video. It's for the trailer showcase for an upcoming film festival. I need to sub the film in to bunch of different languages.
Patomakarn Nitanontawat
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM   #47
New Boot

Wide angle question

Hi,
I'm looking to get the Red Eye wide angle lens for my XL2, but I'm not sure which one to get - the .7, .5, or .4x. I'm trying to get as close as I can to an extremely wide, somewhat distorted 'Kubrick-esque' (or 'Gilliam-esque') look, ala 2001: A Space Odyssey or A Clockwork Orange. I would think that the .4x would be the best bet for this, but I don't know much on this, so any help would be appreciated. Would anyone have comparison shots, or what a .4x wide angle lens shot would look like?

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM   #48
Tourist

LumSkop Stock Video Project

http://www.lumskop.us

This is a project releasing artistic stock video footage under a public domain license. Free to download and use.
Pat Welborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Avid FreeDV to be discontinued!

Avid announced that starting September 1 2007, FreeDV will be discontinued. See http://www.avid.com/products/freedv/index.asp.

"Available until September 1, 2007 - Effective September 1, 2007, Avid is discontinuing the Avid Free DV application offer, and has no immediate plans to make an updated version available."

Avid FreeDV is the best free DV editor out there, available for both Windows and Max OSX. For those just starting out it is a good way of "getting your feet wet" - grab it until you can. The download link is not obvious, you have to click on the screenshot on the top of the page to get to it. You have to register, but you can provide bogus data, after filling out the questions, you will get the unlocking info right there on the website.

While you're there, also grab the 14 short training videos likely to dissapear as well.

Have fun editing!
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #50
Trustee

iStockPhoto vs RevoStock

Have you submitted footage to either iStockPhoto or RevoStock for sale?

After receiving no replies from first contact with certain video libraries, I contacted iStockPhoto a while back, who said they didn't plan to do video, so I went with RevoStock (and a while later, once I'd signed, iStockPhoto announced their video service - oh well).

Looking back at sales and terms, RevoStock seem to have great terms, but the volume (looking at the most popluar video clips) has been low compared to the newer iStockPhoto service.

Has anyone got experience of the iStockPhoto service from a seller's point of view?

Anyone switched between the two?
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #51
Major Player

Need rescue footage

Hello Everyone--

A friend out in LA wanted me to pass along this message of wanting to acquire video footage for a show airing in Court TV, called Most Daring (airing sometime in Sept.?).

He's currently looking for any rescue video footage from natural disasters, fires, sports, etc.

You can contact him at:

Wondu Dikran
Nash Entertainment / Court TV
Segment Producer
323-468-4798
wdikran@nashentertainment.com

Thanks!

--Jeff Anselmo
www.madjavaproductions.com
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #52
Trustee

Review of repair houses?

Has anyone sent a camera to fletchersite.com? Any reviews?
Does anyone know of a reputable repair shop that they have used with great results?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #53
Trustee

Instructions on how to put on a hood for the LED?

I just received a hood/glare for the LCD on my HC1 but the heck if I know how it goes on! There are no instructions for it. Anyone have an idea? It is a fabric Petro with a DV Proline plastic piece.

Kind of tricky, but I figured it out. The pictures on the net are never that clear...

Last edited by David Delaney; September 6th, 2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #54
Major Player

How much should I sell for??

Hi,
I'm thinking of selling my camera, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. I want to go HD. Early this year I had an acciedent whist film an action sports event. The competitor was air born and landed on top of me from behind. Resulting in being air lifted to hospital, etc. The doc as recommended I stop filming as my back can't hold still the weight of a full size camera any more.

Filming is in my blood, I'll never stop. my days of using the big boys toys may be over - But I can get a lighter camera and do my own work. So the big question is how much should I expect to get for the following.

Sony DSR 370P with a Canon IF Y20x8.5B4 (KRS Sx12)Lens, EVF DXF-801CE, mic + Rycote Softie. I-Cuff replaces the eye cup and tripod plate. In very good condition, Lens was relpace due to damage focus ring and chips on glass.

Camera hours are (Only used at weekends)
A 0271 hr
B 0140 hr
C 0394 hr

Also 3 IDX endura e-50 batteries, Portabrace and a Vinten Vision 3 Tripod with softcase.

Gratefull for any help

Mark - Got my eye on the new Sony EX1
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #55
Major Player

Quick tapeless workflow Q.

The place I'm working at right now is looking at going tapeless (looking at both Panny and Sony solutions) and there is one workflow point I'm stuck on in terms of post. The vast majority of our shoots are ENG or EFP style covering video game conventions/events and our post workflow right now is we get the tape back, log it w/particual naming conventions, capture it, and put the clips in their appropriate places on the xSan (there are 14 editors here that the media is shared between). A while ago we took an HVX200 out to cover an event as a test run and everything seemed to be going well until I go to import the footage into FCP and instead having a few tapes that I'll log into probably a dozen or so chunks per tape I have 144 clips that need to get renamed. This put a rather large crimp in the faster-than-tape workflow we were hoping for. Not only did it take a while to rename all of the clips, but when working w/it there was a lot more clips to open and scrub thru when looking for b-roll. It just turned very cumbersome. I'd love to be able to select a group of clips and be able to import them as one big clip into FCP (assuming no TC breaks in the source clips of course) but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

I'm curious as to how other people that have similar style shoots have adopted to going tapeless.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Stratos Color Cal. Disc.

Anyone using one of these discs for white balancing? It looks to be consistant, handy and for multicam setups.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Disc_CCD_.html
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #57
New Boot

Looking for possible awards

I just finished a large project that was set into motion over a year ago. It is a DVD for a client of ours. My coworkers and I were looking for a place to submit this video to see if we could possibly win an award or two for it. It didn't air, it is a recruitment DVD that is supposed to attract workers to come and work here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joel
Joel Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #58
Trustee

Anyone used Dazzle Video Creator 150 for VCR to digital?

I am looking into a product that will convert VCR tapes to Digital (and subsequent DVD creation). I saw the Dazzle Video creator 150 and wondered since it is relatively inexpensive if this is a good product or some review on it.
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #59
Major Player

Dub in Vegas

Hi all,

Can anyone recomend a place in Vegas to get a dub from DVCAM or Mini DV to Betacam ?? Will be in town, and we have a need to get a dub done locally..

Thanks all,
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM   #60
Major Player

Interlacing Question

I normally shoot in 24P with my canon XL2. I capture to P-Pro-2 via fire wire. Then, edit in 24P. My Pc is connected (via fire wire) to my NTSC monitor via a canopus ADVC 100 through an S-video (from ADVC to NTSC).

When I playback from P-Pro-2 timeline through the NTSC the video looks like the old combing effect. You know... when you play back interlaced video on a PC monitor. In this case... it's my NTSC monitor. I have to go into each clip (in the timeline) and select deinterlace. After the change... playback on the NTSC looks normal.

Am I missing something here?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion