Chrosziel Follow Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 20th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Chrosziel Follow Focus

I am considering purchasing the less expensive Chrosiel 203-01S video follow focus for my XL2 with the 16x manual servo lens. Any one had any experience with this compared to the more expensive 206-01S Chrosziel studio FF ?
Brian Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Brian,

I haven't used the studio FF so I can't comment on it. But I use the 203 with the 16x manual lens and it works flawlessly.

Since it is made for video use, you have the FF wheel on one side only (usually the left side) and the indicator ring (I'm talking about the white ring where you can mark the distances) points toward the camera operator. I guess this is so because the Chrosziel people assume, that there won't be a focus puller and the camera operator has to pull focus him- or herself.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM   #3

I bought the Redrock Micro FF unit and have been very happy with it. I use it on both my XL2 with the 16x manal lens and on my JVC GY-HD110.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Follow focus

Thanks Guys! I think I messed up on my original question... I meant to say the lesser expensive model was the Chrosziel 206-01S which is what I will probably purchase... I am, however, still confused as to what focus gear will work with the Canon 16x manual lens (0.05 / 0.08)... Any Help?
Brian Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Brian,

not beeing familiar with the Chrosziel part numbers, I thought that you were correct when you said that the 203 was the less expensive one. So my comments above are for the less expensive 206 then.

The question of the correct focus drive for Canon lenses is indeed a bit confusing as Chrosziel mentions two different ones: mod 0.5 for Canon and Angenieux and mod 0.8 for Canon and Fujinon Cine Style lenses. I'm afraid I don't remember which is the correct one for the 16x manual lens (mod 0.5 I believe because the 16x is not a cine style lens). I'll have a look at my FF this afternoon. Anyway, your dealer should be able to order the correct one.

By the way, I remember a discussion on this board about some problems with the focus drive blocking the zoom lever of the 16x lens. Some people had to remove the zoom lever to get the FF working. My focus drive seems to be of a slightly different design that doesn't cause this problem. Do a search for "Chrosziel Follow Focus" and you should find the thread.

Rainer
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Brian,

I just copied this from one of my old posts:

The model number of my gear is 206-15. On the little bag it says: 'Focus drive (DV-Studio Rig) for Canon, Angenieux - mod 0.5, diameter 38mm.

Hope this helps.

Rainer
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM   #7
New Boot

Chrosziel Follow Focus

Thanks Rainer! I'm kinda new to this site but without a doubt you guys have the greatest expertise one could ask for and seem most eager to help others. My hat's off to you all!
Brian Hicks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion