DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Capturing video from Cable Box to PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/84922-capturing-video-cable-box-pc.html)

Michael S. Davis January 27th, 2007 11:15 AM

Capturing video from Cable Box to PC

1 Attachment(s)
I just got a new Comcast Cable Box for HD video. It has many digitial interfaces on the back, in the area for output connectors. I'm wondering if it's possible to make a connection and capture video coming from any of these connectors, directly to my PC, without the need of any video conversion?

Here is a photo of the back of the video box. The HDMI is output for sure but what about the USB and Firewire. These look like they might be for PC connections.

Anyone know? Specifics? If possible, what software on the PC is required?

Steve House January 27th, 2007 01:11 PM

It depends a lot on what features Comcast has activated in the firmware so it's going to be really hard to say. I've been successful in connecting a Canopus ADVC110 A/D converter to the S-video (and audio of course) output of mine and capturing to disk on the computer that way using the capture utility in Premiere Pro. SD of course but it worked well.

Michael S. Davis January 27th, 2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House
It depends a lot on what features Comcast has activated in the firmware so it's going to be really hard to say. I've been successful in connecting a Canopus ADVC110 A/D converter to the S-video (and audio of course) output of mine and capturing to disk on the computer that way using the capture utility in Premiere Pro. SD of course but it worked well.

I'm sure it's possible to capture the signal using a capture card. But what I was wondering if this could be transferred directly over USB or HDMI interfaces. I know the HDMI is functional. Not sure about USB or Firewire.

I have some software that can capture from a HD camera using firewire interfaces, so I was wondering if I could do the same with a Cable Box instead of a camera or by using USB or HDMI. Seems reasonable and I guess I could just try it.

Guy Bruner January 27th, 2007 05:31 PM

There is a very long thread over at the AV Science forums on how to do this using IEEE1394.

Bill Davis January 27th, 2007 08:06 PM

Don't have Comcast, but my Cox Cable HD box lets me backup HD-DVR recordings to any harddrive using the USB port.

"Backup program to Hard Disc" is one of the options to free up space on the unit's hard drive for additional recordings.

YMMV

Michael S. Davis January 29th, 2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Don't have Comcast, but my Cox Cable HD box lets me backup HD-DVR recordings to any harddrive using the USB port.
Looks like my USB isn't working.

However, I have successfully tested transferring my HI8 tapes to DVD using a Samsung DVD-R135 Recorder/Player. Works great!

I can now make DVD backups of all my HI8 tapes, and even combine multiple tapes onto a single DVD. I have a couple of hundred tapes to archive and this is going to be very time consuming but well worth the effort.

My daughter was in gymnastics from age 6 to 17. Whenever I taped any of her meets, I would use a new tape. Most of my tapes are mostly unused, so I should be able to get most of these tapes on a few DVDs.

Thanks to everyone who provide information on this and my other "capturing HI8" threads.

Jack Zhang January 29th, 2007 08:38 PM

Here, they've added a macrovision chip to ALL HD signals downconverted to 480i for our Motorola DCT6200 HD box. But SD signals are fine.

Dan Keaton January 30th, 2007 07:20 AM

I was told by Comcast, in Augusta, Georgia, that the firewire port on my HD cable box was disabled.

Guy Bruner January 30th, 2007 11:22 AM

Dan,
See this.

Dan Keaton January 30th, 2007 11:25 AM

Good information.