What is better with laptops : Centrino, Pentium, Intel? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Trustee

What is better with laptops : Centrino, Pentium, Intel?

I am looking at three laptops and here is what they list for Processors :

1) Intel Core 2 Duo
2) Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060
3) Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo

Which is the faster processor - I am going to be using it for Editing and graphics on either XP or Vista.

Thanks
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Those may all be different advertising terms for the same thing, and #2 is incorrect because the T2060 processor isn't part of the Pentium family. What you should do is find out the processor numbers for each computer and compare the features of those using information available on the Intel web site. My advice would be to look for something with a T7xxx processor, which are more advanced than the earlier T2xxx series.

I just bought a Core 2 Duo laptop with the T7400 processor running at 2.16 GHz, and it smokes any other computer I've ever owned - plus it can run for up to 7 hours without plugging into a wall using the optional "media bay" battery. It looks like the latest generation of laptops is finally powerful enough to replace desktops for all but the most demanding editing tasks: I can play 8 layers of DV with effects in real time using nothing but my internal laptop hard drive!

Here's what I bought after comparing many different laptops, and contemplating that I'm not a big fan of Dell:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=04&l=en&s=bsd
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for that. I am in Canada, so the prices are a little higher here. Ican get a Core Duo for about $999.00 - here is the link:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...71&catid=20354

It is not going to smoke your system, but it should be fast - and it is XP, so I don't have to worry about the hassles with Vista while it works out the bugs.
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion