DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Group Interview against Green screen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/85490-group-interview-against-green-screen.html)

Josh Wigginton February 2nd, 2007 09:35 AM

Group Interview against Green screen

Hello:

I am about to film 4 different interviews against a green screen for a project. I am looking for some tips and advise. The interviewee will be 2-3 people sitting around a tall round table with one interviewer sitting at the table as well.

Would you suggest an over-the-shoulder shot with multiple interviewees, or does this only work well on one-on-one interviews?

If so, how would I go back and film the interviewer against the green screen (asking the questions, noddies, etc), over the shoulder of the group? I would want to get the right angle, but this would seem difficult.

The setup is pretty simple, I have good lighting and can pull a good key, but am looking for the best way to film the interviews.

How would you film it if it where you?

Thanks for any advise and your time.

Josh

Hart Boyd February 2nd, 2007 01:10 PM

Take a look at this video for some very usefull tips. Don't know your experience is but it help me a lot.

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/seg...how=all_videos

Josh Wigginton February 2nd, 2007 01:15 PM

Hi Hart,

Thanks! I've seem that video and it has some GREAT tips. It is very helpful and I will be using some of those tips. It's the video that got me thinking of doing an Over the Shoulder shot, but I think it may be difficult to frame this kind of shot because the interviewee is going to be 2 or three people, not just one.

Thanks for your response.

Josh

Bill Davis February 2nd, 2007 04:46 PM

Josh,

My 2 cents is that you're on the right track.

I assume this is a "gathering information" panel, not a "meeting of equals including the host" thing - so you don't need real-time interaction or constant reaction from the host.

If that's the case, the wide shot would concentrate on the faces of the interviewees with just a suggestion of the shoulder of the interviewer pushed right or left in the frame to establish his/her relative position to the panel.

You can leave the three interviewees wide, or if they speak in turn, push in/pull out as necessary during interviewer questions.

Then strike that set and move your interviewer onto the key screen.

When you set up your "interviewer shot, be mindful of "crossing the line". (A google search should help if you aren't already familiar with this) In a situation like this, crossing the line could easily flip all the reaction shot directions of the interviewer and mess things up.

Anyway,

Put three light stands or something similar in front of him/her - representing the relative positions of the original questioners from his point of view. Gaff signs to those stands with the names of the interviewees at about where their heads were during the interview and have your interviewer address the questions/followups to the "virtual interviewers" now represented by the stands.

The viewer will pick up on the visual cues of the space that the interviewer is addressing, and mentally map the original positions of the interviewees to that - and everything should look very natural.

Another good example of how good video doesnt's have to BE real - just LOOK real.

That's how I'd approach it, anyway. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Hope this helps.

Josh Wigginton February 5th, 2007 01:47 PM

Bill,

Thanks for all the great advise. I'll have to do some more research on crossing the line. The first interview is tonight.

So I beleive I will try a bit of the OTS when filming the interviewees, and not sure how I'm going to frame the interviewer yet, but I would guess opposite the OTS corner.

Thanks,
Josh