Projection advice needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Projection advice needed

Hi, I've been asked to project a live feed from one place to another shooting inside the church to be projected at a room (outside the church). I need to configure this by the end of the month, any advice here will be appreciated and If possible list some equipments. This is not the kind of settings used by Joel Osteen (I wish) We just need a projector, screen, and find a way to get the signal from the camera to that room, any ideas? a loooong cable?

Thanks

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Vazquez
We just need a projector, screen, and find a way to get the signal from the camera to that room, any ideas? a loooong cable?
Extron makes several devices for sending video over regular twisted pair ethernet cables. We've done this with DVI and VGA over a couple hundred feet and it worked great. See their website for more info:

http://www.extron.com/product/prodtype08.asp
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I was hired to do something similar for a funeral at a church with a very small chapel. They wanted the audio/video fed to another part of the building for the overflowing crowd to watch. I simply got my hands on an RF Modulator. I took the A/V from the camera, ran it into the modulator, then ran standard 75ohm coax to a large TV in the other room. The total run was about 200 feet. I didn't notice any signal loss, but in case I did, I had with me a line amplifier for the feed.

Got there early, taped it all down, tested everything, had no problems!

(Old fashioned, but it worked!)
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Major Player

The products in which Boyd I believe is referring to are called "Baluns", which take RGB, VGA, DVI, Composite, Component, even audio and make it so you can run everything over standard cat 5 cable, which is much cheaper than standard video cable, and will usually have less loss at higher distances. A 1000' box of cat 5 wire should run you less than $100, where as 1000' of coax could be Almost $1000, depending on quality. Baluns work very well and are simple to use. You can plug straight in to your camera or mixer. I don't know where you're at location wise, but if you don't have access to a projector & screen, there are usually rental houses that will rent you them pretty cheap. Look in the phone book.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah
The products in which Boyd I believe is referring to are called "Baluns"
Are you sure about that? I have seen the term "balun" used for antenna and audio matching transformers before. It's a contraction formed from the words balanced and unbalanced (similar to "modem" which comes from modulator and demodulator).
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I think the "balun" thing is the way to go. Now all I need is the place to buy it, Extron don't do direct sells.

Thanks again

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Baluns are what most companies call them. If you do a google search for Balun, that's what comes up.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion