xl2 or sony hdr fx1 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ferndown Dorset, UK
Posts: 13
xl2 or sony hdr fx1

hi guys, i have searched this forum but not found many answers to my questions and hoped you could help. i want to film wildlife in the Uk mainly British snakes and also insects, butterflies etc. i have just about saved enough money to buy either an xl2 or the sony hdr fx1. I do not have much editing equipment, i am obviously after the best quality film for my money. i use canon lenses and wondered if my macro lenses would work well with the xl2. on the other hand would the sony give better results full stop. i would like to stick with canon as i have a few lenses but wondered what you guys think. cheers guys
__________________
jerry
Jerry Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 11,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Stanley
i would like to stick with canon as i have a few lenses but wondered what you guys think. cheers guys
The Canon lenses should work (with the correct adaptor), but maybe not with the results you expected because of the small chips on prosumer video cameras. See the following for more info:

http://dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article10.php
http://dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #3
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ferndown Dorset, UK
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
The Canon lenses should work (with the correct adaptor), but maybe not with the results you expected because of the small chips on prosumer video cameras. See the following for more info:

http://dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article10.php
http://dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php
Many thanks Boyd, i just wondered also which camera would give the best results in the field?
__________________
jerry
Jerry Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 6,838
Counter Spin

I have just started shooting some outdoor wildlife footage with the FX1. It has great resolution. I use a Sony 58mm teleconverter with step down ring to shoot long, and it comes out pretty nice. Check out bruces footage at this thread for his nature close up work. Unless long lens is your need, I would go FX1:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...701#post621701
__________________
Chris J. Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #5
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ferndown Dorset, UK
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I have just started shooting some outdoor wildlife footage with the FX1. It has great resolution. I use a Sony 58mm teleconverter with step down ring to shoot long, and it comes out pretty nice. Check out bruces footage at this thread for his nature close up work. Unless long lens is your need, I would go FX1:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...701#post621701
thanks Chris those clips are amazing. can anyone else comment?
__________________
jerry
Jerry Stanley is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:38 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network