DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-DVC200 vs JVC GY-DV5000 Which to buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/8737-panasonic-ag-dvc200-vs-jvc-gy-dv5000-buy.html)

M. Bazaillion April 17th, 2003 06:47 PM

Panasonic AG-DVC200 vs JVC GY-DV5000 Which to buy?

Anybody used both Panasonic AG-DVC200 or JVC GY-DV5000.

Any opinions on which to buy?

Thanks.

Chris Hurd April 17th, 2003 07:26 PM

Both are excellent cameras. The JVC DV5000 has a few features that the Panny DVC200 does not: it will accept Mini-DV cassettes (the DVC200 takes only the larger and more expensive full-size DV cassettes) and it has a handy flip-out LCD screen. However I think the DVC200 has more scene-store options in its internal menu, but I'm not too sure about that. Hope this helps,

Rick Foxx April 18th, 2003 08:27 AM

I've owned the DVC200 for nearly a year. The 200 allows much more sophisticated manipulation of the image within the camera. You can store a number of scene files that can be accessed with a dial on the side of the camera. The 200 is built like a tank, and feels much more sturdy than the 5000. It also has two XLR audio inputs on the back of the camera, while the 5000 only has one.

The 5000 does offer the ability to use mini-DV or full-size DV tapes, which would really be nice to have on the 200. The 5000 also has the flip-out LCD screen, which makes it very eary to check white balance on the fly.

Your best best is to look at both cameras close up, and determine which features you are willing to trade. Both cameras have strengths and weaknesses, and you won't go wrong with either one. I have been very happy with Panasonic, and can't say enough good things about the 200.

Good luck,

Rick

Don Parrish May 6th, 2003 05:51 AM

Rick, I am curious to know about the pixel count and resolution on the 200. I take it that it is not HD but has 800 lines of resolution. The resolution combined with the 410,000 pixels from 1/2 inch CCD's must make for a nice shot. Have you ever seen it's video on an HD TV. This camera is 24p correct? Do you mind the bigger tapes? They cost more but last 4 hours, I would love that.
Thanks
Donny

Chris Hurd May 6th, 2003 06:23 AM

Don

The Panasonic AG-DVC200 is *not* 24p, and it records the standard definition DV25 format. Hope this helps,

Zac Stein May 6th, 2003 06:24 AM

I know the dv5000 has frame modes and so on, that could be a factor.

Zac

Rick Foxx May 6th, 2003 10:18 AM

Donny,

As was mentioned above, the DVC200 is not 24p, but 60i. The camera also does not film in true 16x9. The resolution is 800 lines, and the image quality is quite good. One of the local news stations bought a dozen DVC200s last year to outfit their ENG crews. While I have never seen images from the 200 on an HD monitor, I have gotten very good results on flat screen TVs. There is really no comparison to 1/3" CCD cameras in terms of color saturation and low light performance.

The only time the larger tape format is a pain is when I am shooting 15 minutes of footage for a client. I never reuse tapes, and I never shoot for more than 1 client on the same tape. It would be nice to be able to drop in a $5 mini-DV tape for some of the shorter shoots, but having up to 4 hours capibility on 1 tape can be a real life saver.

Zac - Do you know if the frame mode on the 5000 is true progressive, or is it similar to the Canon XL1/GL2? Also, is it 30 FPS, or 15 FPS like the Sony VX2000?

Rick

Dylan Couper May 6th, 2003 05:33 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Foxx : Donny,

Zac - Do you know if the frame mode on the 5000 is true progressive, or is it similar to the Canon XL1/GL2? Also, is it 30 FPS, or 15 FPS like the Sony VX2000?

Rick -->>>

Butting in: It's not true progessive, but indeed like the Canon Frame Mode, from what I read when I was looking at purchasing one. I eventualy decided it wasn't yet worth the money to me over an XL1.

Don Parrish May 7th, 2003 04:51 AM

Thank you Chris and Rick. It looks like we are in an interesting time to watch the evolution taking place. We just don't quite have the right combinations yet.

I emailed canon tech service advising that I couldn't get my XL2 to turn on, they replied,

"As of right now, we have no information if or when an XL2 model be made available on our DV camcorder product line".

Nice try huh!