Legalities of music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 5th, 2002, 05:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Legalities of music

I am going to be shooting a few wedding videos down the road and was wondering what everyone's opinions are on music. I saw a video done by a wedding videographer which used songs by Enya, Prince, etc... This was also in his demo video. I highly doubt he went out and payed royalties to each recording company.

Is this common practice? Can I get away with it or should I just go with the royalty free route?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2002, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Bottom line, you might get away with it, but it is illegal. You put yourself, and your business/reputation in jeopardy.

For anything other than home videos that you keep for yourself, I'd recommend that you stick with the royalty-free stuff.
Old February 5th, 2002, 07:56 PM   #3
ajpate611

Vic Owen

If the client gives you the music from their collection and you are only putting it on the video that they are getting back, (not using for a demo tape) is that still illegal since they bought the music and it is on their wedding tape for only them and their family to see?
Old February 5th, 2002, 08:44 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Since you received payment for using the copyrighted music, even though the music was given to you by the client, you are still in violation of copyright laws. In effect you used the music to create another work for compensation. If this was ok every tv ad builder would just run out to the music store to gather their stock.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2002, 10:04 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm unsure about this.
The TV show Trigger Happy TV used to use music on the programs they broadcasted, however on the DVD a lot of the music had been changed because they couldnt get permission from whoever.
Why did they have to ask for permission to put the music on the DVD version but not to broadcast it on mainstream TV?
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2002, 10:50 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

British broadcasting laws may be a bit different than those in the US. But here, you could not use any music in a broadcast show without permission, even incidentally. For example, if you shot a clip in a restaurant whose sound system was playing a Beatles tune and the tune was clearly audible on the clip you would either have to remove the tune from the audio or pay-up for royalties before broadcasting the clip.

That's absolutely the way it is here.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion