video too dark when editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM   #1
New Boot

video too dark when editing

hi

I cant find a thread on this topic anywhere in the forum, but some of you guys must have experienced this before?

When I edit in any application such as premiere pro, avid liquid etc the gamma on my video-files is simply too low, and pictures appear way too dark on screen. If I preview the files in media player, they look fine, but as soon as i open the files in the edit-application, I guess the gamma-screen-setting are set aside somehow?? Can I somehow change the meta-data in my videofiles, so that the program understands how to handle the files?

Thanks

Søren
Soren Hiorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Media Player has its own image controls. Or rather, the video overlay controls change what you see in Media Player but not in Premiere. That may or may not be it.

To see if this is the case, go into the settings for your video card and make sure the video overlay settings are neutral.

2- Another thing you could do is to look at your image on the histogram in your NLE. If there is a nice distribution of levels, then your original footage is good. If not, then there might be some sort of levels conversion problem (i.e. studio RGB 16-235 versus computer RGB 0-255; this behaviour is determined by the codecs you use; try to use the default codecs).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #3
New Boot

hi glenn

Thanks for helping.

My gamma settings on my video-cards are set to 1.70 which is not neutral. Default is 1.00. Only with this setting the files are shown correctly in mediaplayer.

If I put the files back on tape, they appear fine during playback on the camera. It seems that levels are distributed correctly.

I've uninstalled all codecs, so that I have only have standard codecs installed. Still the same.

Tell me more on the "studio RGB 16-235 versus computer RGB 0-255"-thing...

Søren
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Major Player

The gamma settings for the video overlay only affect video that is being written directly to the hardware. Under Windows, typically only one window can use the hardware overlay, other windows have to use the more traditional method of "painting" to the window.

Most likely, Premiere isn't able to use the hardware overlay - either because it is in use by another program or another window in Premiere.

A quick way to determine if the overlay is being used or not is to drag the entire window around the screen. When the overlay is being used, there is a noticeable lag. Or you can press the PrtSc button to copy the desktop to the clipboard and then paste it into a suitable program (like MS Paint). If the overlay is being used, the bitmap of the desktop will show either a black rectangle where the video should be or, if the video is still being shown by the other program, you'll see parts of it on the bitmap. (Best thing is to close the video application after pressing PrtSc to avoid confusion).
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #5
New Boot

hi glenn

Thanks for helping.

My gamma settings on my video-cards are set to 1.70 which is not neutral. Default is 1.00. Only with this setting the files are shown correctly in mediaplayer.

If I put the files back on tape, they appear fine during playback on the camera. It seems that levels are distributed correctly.

I've uninstalled all codecs, so that I have only have standard codecs installed. Still the same.

Tell me more on the "studio RGB 16-235 versus computer RGB 0-255"-thing...

Søren
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The gamma setting on your video card is likely the problem?? It probably should be 1.00.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion