narrowed my search to a few cams - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rosado View Post
..as for the a1u, dont know what that is......be right back(surfing)........

the a1u is the a1...same camera, different abbreviations.

let us know what you end up picking and why you chose it, i always like to hear more opinions on cams!

take care,

-bryan
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Actually, A1U does lool like it covers most of what you are looking for. 16:9, XLR inputs, portability, actually priced better than PD 170, I think.

You will have not as good success in low light, if that is an issue for you.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
VX 16:9 has a bad rep. I have mixed footage from the FX1 and VX 16:9, going to DVD, with a decent result .
That's good to know it's working for you, but running a 4:3 DV camera in widescreen mode is pushing the limits of technology to an undesirable extent. That's reason enough to favor widescreen-native cameras over 4:3 models for general-purpose use, since it's easier to get acceptable 4:3 video from a widescreen camera than vice-versa.

My recommendation for someone getting started today would be any decent widescreen camera, so Canon XL2/XL-H1 or Sony A1U/FX1/V1U, etc. The A1U is a fun little camera but has some limitations for professional use, especially in poor lighting.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Duuuhhhhh!!!! Yep, im green!lol I could probably run circles around you guys in a recording studio forum, but dang do I feel like a rookie. what do you guys think about jvc grhd1? also, why not buy used? i was gonna do it from bh, I though that was a reliable sponsor?
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #20
Major Player

I'd go with an XL2.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
That's good to know it's working for you, but running a 4:3 DV camera in widescreen mode is pushing the limits of technology to an undesirable extent.
I'd have to side with Kevin on this. I have a VX-2000, a PDX-10 and a Z1. The PDX-10 might be a candidate if you can find a nice used one. It does full quality 16:9. On the VX you are only working with 360 vertical lines in 16:9 mode (instead of the full 480). I think most people will notice the difference right away, especially in these days where widescreen TV's are common.

But it has a lot to do with your subject material. A closeup of a face will look OK in 16:9 on the VX because at that scale you don't expect any more detail. But a wide shot just looks like it's out of focus; I find that completely unacceptable myself. The VX and PD are great cameras for 4:3 - very pleasing quality to the image and great low light performance. But I wouldn't even give them a second thought if you want 16:9 in today's world....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
WOW, so many opinions. now im really lost!(not) well, the size isnt a matter for me coming from using a jvcdv500u.
Is that a GY-DV500U (shoulder mount camera)?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #23
Regular Crew

yes it is....more like a back mount as heavy as it is..lol....My budget is 1500.00, so an xl2 is out right now, I did come across an xl1s for 1750.00, i was considering this one as well. I think this forum is a BLURSE. (blessing and curse) the blessing is that alot of professionals have taken thier time to answer questions respectively and honestly, the curse is that so many of you have great points and opinions for each cam. I have never been an indecisive buyer, until now with video. I think what i will do is buy what I can afford, hopefully I can find a great deal(cant access classifieds,dam new guy). If you were voting, who will you vote for? just give me model numbers no reasons, my head is spinning enough!

you guys rock!
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
But it has a lot to do with your subject material. A closeup of a face will look OK in 16:9 on the VX because at that scale you don't expect any more detail.
Agreed. But. But when the original post started out, we were talking about low end, lower priced cameras, and poster brought up the PD170 and 16:9. Depending on what your subject matter is, it can work. Wide shots of small object, and scenics, forget it. But at the level of price he originally was discussing, you are compromising....
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
But when the original post started out, we were talking about low end, lower priced cameras, and poster brought up the PD170 and 16:9.
I have an HC1 which I really like for run-around use, since it's small enough to be convenient without being too small to hold steady. It works well in HDV, widescreen DV or regular DV mode, and if the main subject matter is outdoors then the low-light limitations wouldn't be a problem. Now that I think about it, this could be an excellent choice for the original poster's needs. Among other things, the HC series cameras are small enough to fit in a large zippered jacket pocket, like say while snowboarding down a mountain...
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
yes it is....more like a back mount as heavy as it is..lol....My budget is 1500.00, so an xl2 is out right now, I did come across an xl1s for 1750.00, i was considering this one as well. I think this forum is a BLURSE. (blessing and curse) the blessing is that alot of professionals have taken thier time to answer questions respectively and honestly, the curse is that so many of you have great points and opinions for each cam. I have never been an indecisive buyer, until now with video. I think what i will do is buy what I can afford, hopefully I can find a great deal(cant access classifieds,dam new guy). If you were voting, who will you vote for? just give me model numbers no reasons, my head is spinning enough!

you guys rock!
A GY-DV500U is in a class up from the (SD) cameras you are considering. Perhaps if you could tell us what makes the GY-DV500U undesirable for your purposes, we could offer better advice.

One camera I don't think you've considered, is a GY-DV300U (a very good 3-1/3" CCD, handheld camera, with XLR input and considerable control over image acquisition). Used GY-DV300Us are typically selling for around $1000.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #27
Inner Circle

BTW, none of the camcorders you mentioned that you are considering, in your post that started this thread, will shoot 24p. The GL2 and DVC30 do not have XLR input. Only the Sony A1 would shoot over 360 lines (effectively) of 16:9 video.

If you sold the DV500U, along with the $1500 you have budgeted, you could get a DVX100, an XL2 or perhaps a Canon XH-A1.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #28
Regular Crew

A GY-DV500U is in a class up from the (SD) cameras you are considering. Perhaps if you could tell us what makes the GY-DV500U undesirable for your purposes, we could offer better advice.

its too big and about 7 years old. high drum hours etc, i will look into the dv300........be right back..............(surfing)...........
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #29
Inner Circle

If you sell the GY-DV500U, I'd suggest you get the Canon XH-A1. If you decide to keep the GY-DV500U, I'd suggest you get a GY-DV300U. With a budget of $1500, I just don't think you'll get more bang for your buck. At $1500, you aren't going to get 24p anyway and will be awfully hard pressed to find a camera, that has XLR input, with better overall performance (or manual control) than a GY-DV300U.
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I can wait for 24p, its not my most major concern. I saw what the dv300 looks like, but its been hard to locate. I think i might do the xl1s........still searching

ps... no one has commented on the jvc grhd1.....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion