UV Filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #1
Trustee

UV Filters

Hi guys

Do you guys use an UV filter on your camcorder all the time? Should I always keep it on my Sony HDR-FX7?

Stelios
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The lens on your camera is expensive and costly to replace or repair.

The front element of the lens is probably multi-coated. As such, it is moderately delicate and moderately difficult to clean.

While a lens can be cleaned, it is best to never get it dirty.

Also, depending on what you are shooting, some flying object may hit your lens.

Overall, it is best to keep a filter on your lens at all times. This way your lens is protected from objects, fingerprints, dust and dirt. You can clean your filter.

If the filter gets broken or too dirty to clean, you can replace it.

If the value of what you are recording far exceeds the value of your lens (and/or camera), and you want the absolute best image, then you can remove the filter for the shot and take your chances.
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Trustee

I keep a UV filter on my VX2100 whenever possible, it does a great job. Only problem I have is that it can affect how lights appear in your shot - sometimes the nice 'starburst' effect is good, but sometimes it's not.

Also, when dealing with bright light, if I'm not careful I get a reflection of the lens in the filter at certain angles. I'm not sure if that's because it is a cheapo $15 filter or if that is something that will always happen no matter how good the filter is.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You should never, never,never put a cheap filter on.

What is the point in buying a good cam if you put some crap in front of the lens.
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
Also, when dealing with bright light, if I'm not careful I get a reflection of the lens in the filter at certain angles. I'm not sure if that's because it is a cheapo $15 filter or if that is something that will always happen no matter how good the filter is.
You might try a Hoya Super Multi Coated UV filter. They're reasonably low in price and should cut down on the reflections considerably.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Trustee

Was £5.95 too cheap? Possibly. I had no idea what makes a good filter and what doesn't, I thought I'd give it a go. It's still kept a good few splashes off the lens.

Robert - the Hoya filters seem quite reasonably priced, around £13/$20, I'm not sure if this is still considered 'cheap'. One of my usual suppliers has a Tiffen UV filter for around $30, which is still reasonable.

Is the $20-$30 range still considered too cheap? I'm having difficulty finding anything more expensive at any of the UK online suppliers, without going into silly 'pro' prices.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I considered my 80 dollars well spent on the B&W filter in front of my 16x manual.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Trustee

Aha - I've found a UK supplier for B+W, Hoya and Canon filters.

Now to add to the confusion, I've found out that they have clear protective filters as well, and a search of the DVinfo forums reveals mixed opinions on which is better, whether to go for UV or clear, or whether we should use filters at all!

I think I'll try a B+W UV filter, and then maybe later have a go with a clear protective filter, as pocket money permits.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #9
Trustee

OK, I took delivery of a Hoya Super HMC Pro 1 today priced approx $60. It's ultra thin and ultra good! I can still get the lens reflection effect, except it's very slight and I have to try very very hard to get it.

So top tip - thanks, guys!
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
You might try a Hoya Super Multi Coated UV filter. They're reasonably low in price and should cut down on the reflections considerably.
I agree with Robert. I have the Hoya Super Multi Coated UV Haze filter, and I think it was a good investment. I always leave it on to protect the lense.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

My camera came with a tiffen UV filter. I leave it on pretty much all the time. Opinions on this filter brand?
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #12
Inner Circle

To the best of my knowledge, Tiffen doesn't make any premium UV filters.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Hi guys

Do you guys use an UV filter on your camcorder all the time? Should I always keep it on my Sony HDR-FX7?

Stelios
Simple answers:

Yes, I do.

Yes, I would.
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I have not gotten my video eqpt yet but I have a B+W MRC filters on all my photographic lenses. They are superbly made and the glass is way tougher than that of the Hoya HMC Supers that I have used and thrown. Heliopan and Schneider are the other great ones. I leave them on most of the time other than when shooting against the sun where flare will be obvious and reducing any pieces of glass will always help.

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion