Difference in mini-DV quality? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1
New Boot

Difference in mini-DV quality?

Hi! I'm researching what kind of mini-DV camera to buy to finish a doc I'm working on. I shot part of it on a borrowed Sony camera (not sure which model) and I want the rest of the movie to look consistent with the original parts. My question is, is there a marked difference in picture quality from mini-DV camera to camera? If I wanted to buy say, a Canon, could I shoot confidently knowing that it will cut together seamlessly with the Sony footage?
Philip Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #2
Major Player

cameras, models of the same brand or different brands, are a lot of the time hard to cut together.

especially if you don't know what you had before - do you know if it was 1-chip or 3-chip? Any idea what it looked like?

I've tried cutting a 1-chip and 3-chip together and the difference is so huge, luckily it doesn't have to look like it came from the same cam.

Even if you use the same camera model and brand, you might have different settings which could hinder cutting the footage to look exactly the same. However, you might be able to fix it up in post to match better.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion