Lighting a moving night scene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Lighting a moving night scene

Hello all. I'm currently planning to shoot a nighttime scene on a steadicam. The scene will start inside, exit the building, go all the way down the street, and possibly around the corner. The street is very poorly lit at night. So far, we have worked out a few possible solutions, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had some good advice for how to light this scene consistently. Keep in mind this is all one shot.

Thanks Alot,
Brian
Brian Vannucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Use a light source on a boompole that can be moved with the talent.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Trustee

That light source should be physically large so it casts indistinct shadows.

You also might want to get some tall light stands to simulate light from streetlights.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Wrangler

does it have to be lit consistently all the way through? Many such shots make use of pools of light, allowing the characters to move through the environment rather than always be completely lit (especially front-lit). If this is a comedy, probably a good idea to go with the above idea (such as a China ball on a pole that picks up the actors on the street).

Otherwise, the sky's the limit on how one could light this, depending on the amount of units you have, your access to the properties on the street and how much time you want to spend. Very often a Condor will be used with a large unit like an 18K or Maxibrute as a backlight from blocks away, but if you do it right you can duplicate this with a series of 1K open face units, hung out of the windows of the 2nd or 3rd story facing towards the lens (and gelled to taste). Likewise, if you have access to the 1st story windows, you can place lights within them that will play onto the actors. This is assuming that you will be pulling the actors down the street from directly in front rather than at an angle. If there is a building in the background that you can light, it will create some depth and separation to the scene.

Again, these are "big" ideas that go beyond simply illuminating the actors, but if you have the resources, they will move your scene towards a more pro look.
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #5
New Boot

Thank you guys, this is a great help. I will have to see what kind of access we have to the surrounding buildings.

Also, if anyone is willing to give me feedback on these few trailers I put together on my film's myspace page, I'd appreciate it. myspace.com/triggerfilm
Brian Vannucci is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion