Good News! I got a Cam! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Good News! I got a Cam!

WOW! finally made a decision and a purchase. I first would like to thank all of you dedicated proffesionals who posted your comments. Especially those who have emailed me. Well........I decided to go with Canons XLS1! After much debate about price and features, My decision was based on the following:

1.I love the design!
2.I didnt want to start with a camera I was going to sell in a year.
3.Price(i found a deal that came with the XLR adapter, zoom remote and a bag).
4.I LOVE THE DESIGN!

All joking aside, i appreciated the fact that I could change lenses as I went along and that was the best part. I have decided that I would rather spend the money on new lenses every once in awhile than a cam. Now, before you guys go post crazy about features I have to say 1 thing:

A smart man posted here that its not the tool you use, but how you use the tool!

Well, not exactly those words, but I like they way it sounds better. I also bought a body brace and some odds and ends, and soon hope to post my first movie soon. Again, you guys have been wonderful! When I win my first award, I will be sure to give props to to this forum and its honest members.

Now, Anyone got a few tricks to give me?

Sam Rosado
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:32 PM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rosado View Post

Now, Anyone got a few tricks to give me?

Sam Rosado
No tricks as such...
but shoot, shoot and shoot some more... Then read the manual and then shoot some more... ;-)
one thing I found useful when I was learning how to use the XL1s was saying what settings I was using at the start of recording and whenever I made changes, so when you have captured it to disk or play it back on a tv and see footage you think is better or worse than other footage you will know what settings you used and can note it down!
Have lots of fun as I,m sure you will (or are)
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

tricks eh?...hrmm. don't let clumsy people mess with your gear...that will hopefully prolong the life of your cam. haha

enjoy the cam, it's a nice choice, i'm eager to see what you produce with it.
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks guys! I can tell you that NO one will even look at this thing! Look for a .mov soon!
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #5
Major Player

It could be my eyes, but I have never liked manual focusing with the XL1s color viewfinder, so I use auto focus a lot (which I have never been fond of in any camera). Whenever possible, connect a larger video monitor for focusing. If, for example (and this may be considered extreme), whenever I know I will be shooting on a tripod, I connect S-video out to a 9" or 13" monitor.

The body brace is a good idea, as the XL1s can get VERY heavy after a few hours. I use a monopod with a ball head (cheap one works just fine).

It is a great camera. I own two of them.
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Waldemar Winkler;647708]whenever I know I will be shooting on a tripod, I connect S-video out to a 9" or 13" monitor.

QUOTE]

One of the "odds" i bought was a 9" lcd. As for the lens, I have read that manual is the best way to go. I guess its user pref
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
One of the "odds" i bought was a 9" lcd. As for the lens, I have read that manual is the best way to go. I guess its user pref
It is really going to depend upon the situation. For wedding receptions I'll use auto focus when I am in close quarters with a lot of people because that eliminates a task and allows me to concentrate upon framing shots. I'm moving as much as everyone else.

For situations where my position is constant, like ceremonies, traditional dances, etc., I'll use manual focus. for stage performances and ice shows, it is manual. I zoom in all the way, set focus, and rely on the lense's back focus setting to hold clarity as I zoom out.

Exposure settings are almost always manual. Definitely manual if I'm using two or more cameras, as they are all set close to (if not exactly) to the same exposure. Auto exposure with exposure compensation if I am shooting with one camera.

In any case, the goal is to achieve an image quality that either avoids or significantly reduces post production color correction.
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkat View Post
tricks eh?...hrmm. don't let clumsy people mess with your gear...that will hopefully prolong the life of your cam. haha

+1

My XL2 has almost got killed twice. Both times cause I let clumsy people near it or operate it.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Ok, so I got my cam yesterday, played with it all day(the camera!) I do not know why some say its heavy. maybe its just me but this thing is light. I guess im so used to the gy500 that im numb to it or maybe cus its that i'm 285, ex football player? I dunno, it very small, and light. My wife is jealous
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Be sure to go to the resources section at the top right of this page and check out the xl1s watchdog, there is a section on user tips.
I must say I appreciate the autofocus but don't like it. That is why I use manual and that button on the lense 'push af' which alows you to engage the auto focus temporarily alot.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion