DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   XL1s and 24p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/9093-xl1s-24p.html)

Rob Belics April 29th, 2003 09:07 AM

XL1s and 24p

What do you guys think of this? There are a few holes in my knowledge and my head so help me out here.

I need to buy a camera now. The XL1s seems to be the more professional system, IMO, but right now does not have 24p (true?). But I like the flexibility of the whole system.

However, the film look that 24p would give to my project is important. And it seems the Panasonic dx100 24p has what I want along those lines plus much better resolution. Am I right about this?

I've heard the XL2 is coming out in August of next year but, if true, I can't wait till then. I've heard that it will have 24p. Is this also true?

So, I have two options:

1) Buy the Panasonic now, then buy the XL2 later.
2) Buy the XL1s now because I can build up my inventory of add-ons which can then be used on the XL2 next year.

How do you folks think about this?

EDIT:

I forgot to add that I would be renting this equipment out.

Dylan Couper April 29th, 2003 04:58 PM

If you are renting it out, get whichever people are asking most for, which will probably be the DVX100. Although from what I hear, the XL1 is much sturdier than the DVX100, which might be a benefit for renting.

David Mintzer April 29th, 2003 05:59 PM

I would by the Panasonic--who knows what the future will bring and the Panasonic will do an excellent job for you now---

Clint Comer April 30th, 2003 08:57 PM

Isn't frame mode on the XL-1 about the same as 24p? Also you do have the option of importing your footage into After Effects and making it look like 24p.

Justin Wheeler April 30th, 2003 11:13 PM

You can also consider going the Scott Billups suggested route and picking up an XL1s PAL version, which shoots the PAL standard 25 frames/sec, closer to film rate. Mr. Billups' opinion is that the PAL's frame rate makes transfer to film easier and that it is closer to film's 'look'. Also, he opines that the PAL allows for higher quality images (color information and such).

Billups details this opinion in his book, Digital Moviemaking, and you can also find some information on the subject on his Website, www.pixelmonger.com.

That having been said, even after having read Mr. Billups book, I decided to buy an XL1s NTSC version, since I won't be using the camera to projects which will be converted to film.

Rob Belics May 1st, 2003 04:04 PM

I think I'm leaning more toward the dvx100p. It has twice the pixels with built-in 24p. I may just have to sell it if Canon comes out with an equivalent next year. I really think Canon has the best system, however.

Rob Belics May 1st, 2003 07:52 PM

This can be done with Premiere, too, correct? Or After Effects?

Adrian Douglas May 2nd, 2003 10:56 PM

Footage can be converted with Premiere and Vegas but it doesn't produce high quality results. You will get flickering do to dropped or duplicated frames. If you are just converting for your own use then this if fine but for any kind of broadcast or public presentation then it's not acceptable.

Up until the release of the DVX100 there were a number of schools of though as to which was best for converting to 24fps for a film blowup. Some post houses said to shoot in 60i where others prefered 25fps PAL frame mode.

Rob, if your still not sure rent both of the camea for a day and go shoot some test footage. Both are fantastic tools and produce different looks and handle differently, so shoot with both and see which you like the most

Nick Kerpchar May 3rd, 2003 05:49 AM

Rob,
Dylan is spot on. If you plan to be renting this cam out, then you better start surveying potential customers about what they want/need, not what a handful of non-customers think about conversion of video to film.... unless you are also going to do conversion for the customers.

Will this equipment be for rental purposes or for your own use? If rental, then who are you renting to, professionals, indie film makers, consumers? Therein lies the answer to your question.

Good luck, Nick