Auto Exposure Sucks! =/ - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:12 PM   #16
Major Player

14 OMG... Dude...8 seconds of footage? Timeline? I can't even get to that point. I definitely admire your quest at 14, when I was 14 I was consulting the realtors in the town I live in, in which I was setting up their XT's and PC's to hook up to the then new MLS system utilizing the newest and greatest HST modems (9600 baud)... I was a freelance tech at the ripe age of 11 fixing PC's, old ugly bulky and expensive ones paying about $100 a MB. I was so used to being called the "whiz" kid and now that I get to eat at the "grown up's" table with kids of my own that torch has passed on...well enjoy the lime light kid, soon you will be on this end trippin about a 14 year old's knowledge of electronics and computers. :oP
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:36 AM   #17
RED Code Chef

If I remember correctly the default PROJECT LENGTH in AE is 8
seconds. You must lengthen your project BEFORE putting the
footage on the timeline. Now I don't have AE installed currently
so I can't check how, what and where but this is what I remember.

Hope this helps some...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 01:04 PM   #18
High School Student

Garret, yeah, when people say "computer genius" or whatever, I usually tell them to shut up or I might punch them in the face. :) Everyone needs to have lots of lost of knowledge and experience with them. I just read a pretty funny article in the newspaper that was written by a really old lady, and basically it was about how some 15 year old girl came into her office and said "haha, you have a crappy old antique type writer", or something similiar to that, and the old lady went on ranting about how it wasn't a old type writer at all, except a new one that erases all the mistakes and all that crap, and she went on to say basically computers suck, and she has had nothing but a bad experience with them, and she mentioned she used a IBM that she has had for 8 years, hah, go figure. She also mentioned that in her views, computers will be "obsolete" in like 10 years, I actually know someones grandpa who believes that also, haha...

I've been using computers since I was about 6, and I got my first computer of my own when I was like 8, it was a big 200Mhz AMD K6, with 32MB ram and something like a 2GB HDD, and a 15 inch monitor, which I still actually have (the monitor), and was actually using it for quite a while until I finally bought a 17 inch at BestBuy for like $120...moving from years of that 15 inch monitor, to this extra extra sharp 17 inch monitor, was pretty crazy. I was like "whoa, thats better". I built a new system in 2000 (I was about 11/12) which is the system I am still using now, with the exception of some small upgrades. It was my real first experience with actually building a system, but I have helped put many together and fix them before that (with my uncle). I discovered it was quite easy, and neither me or my uncle knew much about what hardware was good or not at the time, so we just went to a local downtown computer shop, and they sold us this 1GHz AMD Athlon, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, some cheap DFI motherboard, and a case for $500, I later found out that I got ripped off big time, when I got into looking at good hardware and reading reviews on the internet, but oh well, what can I do? I put it together in literally no time at all, and slapped a OS on it and was running...I had bought a ATI 32MB AIW 128 pro video card at the time, which I am also still using, and I have upgraded some things like the HDD, I was using nothing but a 13.6GB hdd, but then I bought a 40GB, and a new soundcard, and a burner, thats about it.

Now I just need to get a job so I can build a new system. :D

Here's some pictures of my computer, and case, which is quite chopped up and very loud, sounds like a jet, but hey, why not? The fans were only $1.00 each WITH the grills, I couldn't pass it up when I ordered the case online. :D I do have a switch on the front to turn most of them off except 2, which is where it's at basically all the time...

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpub...sp?id_=2436083
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpub...sp?id_=2436084
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpub...sp?id_=2436116
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpub...sp?id_=2436117
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpub...sp?id_=2436121
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 01:21 PM   #19
Regular Crew

you can have whatever length of the timeline you desire in AE, its in the composition settings. The rationale is that you don't have to have an 'endless' timeline in sight when you're working on a short effects sequence or a 30 sec commercial.
Adrian Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 01:30 PM   #20
High School Student

Rob, Adrian, Thanks, that helps a lot, i'm sure that was somewhere in the help files or in a tutorial, but I never bothered reading them....heh
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:05 PM   #21
Major Player

Alex, when I was six they had computers alright, they called them calculators! :p Seriously my first PC was the Osborne One and a Timex Sinclair. Your generation definitely has the technical advantage. I thought I started early...in fact in my day, I did, but my two-year-old knows how to negotiate around the XP interface with some sense on what she is doing.

Ok that's a bit off topic, anyway, back to AE...maybe if someone would write a quick and easy tutorial and I will get the hang of using it. Something real simple like a looping PSD animation or even a letter i.e. "A" moving across the screen, somthing that will help me understand the interface.
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:50 AM   #22
Major Player

Hehe, I'm 17 and my first computer was a 386 :D Those were great though, can't beat the games I played on that.. especially Commander Keen!

Anyway, thread hijack.. I had quite the problem with Auto Exposure at the wedding I filmed a few weeks ago, the altar was in front of very large windows on an overcast day. Not good! And I wish it was just as simple as turning AE off, but my cheap little consumer camera doesn't have such an option. Time to save those pennies!
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:11 AM   #23
Major Player

First computer i used was at school at the age of 4, it was a bank of BBC dumb terminals, we did great mathematical drawings on it.

Auto exposure is real hell to deal with when it doesn't work correctly.

A couple of rules, especially if we are talking about a shoot with many uncontrolled conditions like a wedding or candid footage.

1. Are you viewing the material on a tv monitor, don't judge with the computer screen.

2. The people who will recieve/watch the material do not have an eye like you do, if it looks passable to you, it will look fine if not great to them. I know that sounds like an easy way out, but the fact it is edited together is better than what 99% of people can do, and they will think it is great.

Don't kill yourself, some situations are uncontrollable and should not be taken personally.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:19 AM   #24
Regular Crew

This whole thing's gotten a bit off-topic, but I thought I'd throw in with my own first computer story....

I'm 24 and my first computer was an Apple IIc with a monochrome monitor....on which I played games like Zork 3. And don't forget the dot-matrix printer, hey? I never even imagined that computers would become what they are. The next year (First or Second grade) my school got the Apple IIe, the first computer I ever saw that had a mouse. I flipped out. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen. DOn't you sometimes wish you could go back in time and show your young self what you have now?

-Shawn
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #25
Contributor

OK, if you guys are gonna tell first computer stories...mine was a "portable" Kaypro 4. I shot a TV spot for the thing, with an HL79, and went down and bought one the next day. It came with Wordstar. OK. Enough.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #26
RED Code Chef

Lets get back on topic people... Thanks.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion