VL-3 and 200MC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:00 AM   #1
New Boot

VL-3 and 200MC

Well I've spend about an hour with my new 200MC and I think I'm gonna like it very much. Based on some pro advice I got, and some posts, I also picked up the VL-3 light. I've thumbed through the manual, looked high and low on the cam, and I just can't figure out where the hot shoe is or how the VL-3 fits on? The 100MC has the hot shoe in full view behind the pop up flash, but not so on the 200MC.

I beg to benefit from all the experience here - what am I missing?

Thanks all.

Davidk
David Kates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:34 AM   #2
New Boot

Got confirmation from Canon about this combo:

"Regrettably, the Optura 200MC does not have a hot shoe to attach the
VL-3 video light. The video light the can be used with this unit is the
VL-10Li battery video light with the SA-1 Adapter Bracket. "

I don't know if older posts in this forum can be corrected, but I bought the VL-3 based on info found in the forum and from info from a very "pro" source. Not a big deal, just have to return it.

The 200MC works very well with Edition, it's sound pick-up is really good and it's opticial stabalization seems to work great.

Davidk
David Kates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

David

The VL3 light is an excellent accessory for the GL2, the Optura 100MC, the ZR70MC, and the new Optrura 10 and 20. However as you have found out, the Optura 200MC does not have a hot shoe and therefore it cannot use the VL3 light.

If you have seen a post on this message board stating that the VL3 works with the Optura 200MC, that's definitely an error.

I have just done a search here for the terms "Optura" and "VL3" and have found something that really surprises me. It's one of my own posts, in which I said:

"The VL3 will not work with the XL1S, as that camcorder lacks the required Advanced Accessory Shoe. The VL3 is compatible only with the Canon GL2, Optura Pi, 100MC and 200MC, and ZR50MC as they are the only Canon camcorders with the Advanced Accessory Shoe."

I have now edited that post to correctly reflect the Canon DV camcorder models which are compatible with the VL3 light.

It looks like I owe you an apology if you made that purchase decision based on the erroneous information in my post. Although all of us here consistently strive for accuracy, the occasional brain fart is bound to happen every so often. I'm hoping you'll have no trouble returning the VL3, and I hope you'll continue to look for information here on my message boards, even if you should confirm that info before buying anything else. Again, I'm sorry. That post has been corrected.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #4
New Boot

Hey Chris: Thanks for correcting your past post. It's not at all a big deal - I would have selected the 200MC anyway, and the VL-3 is returnable. Your post was secondary to the light purchase - it was actually one of the sponsors who also said the 200MC has the advanced accessory hot shoe. Like I said, no harm done at all. I just wonder why Canon removed it. I bought the 200MC mainly for size and optical stabalization. The light would have been nice, but not really part of the decision. Thanks for responding. Davidk
David Kates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion