DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   NLE Spellchecker (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/92482-nle-spellchecker.html)

Theodore McNeil April 26th, 2007 01:53 PM

NLE Spellchecker

I just misspelled a guy's name and therefore have to re-render a whole 45 minute video. Does anybody know of any spell-checking or grammar checking add on for any NLE? I work in Vegas and FCP....

In this case it probably wouldn't have changed anything (his last name was "Selby" - I had written down Shelby) but a spell-checker app would at least ask me if I thought this was correct.

Don Bloom April 26th, 2007 03:24 PM

my spell checker is my wife. :-)

Really I thought about that a few years ago when I started doing my names (credits) in MS Word and then copy and paste into Vegas media generator but here's the problem, names can be spelled any which way and I don't think any spell checker will really give you the correct way to spell it.

Thats when I started having my wife double check names. She's saved my old bones on more than one occassion.

Don

Jesse Redman April 26th, 2007 04:01 PM

Theodore,

There is a program, and I think it is free, called Tiny Spell. It runs in the background and checks all keystrokes for misspelled words. It beeps when you misspell a word.

If you type a lot of non-words on your computer, it beeps at you constantly.

It's great just to let you know you have misspelled something and it does it no matter what program you are running. Do a Yahoo search for it and you will get several hits.

There are only certain names that most spell checkers recognize, however. But if you are typing words in your NLE, it will check the spelling so you won't have to rework something because of spelling errors. Grammar is a problem it does not address.

Good luck,

Grant Harrington April 26th, 2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil (Post 668006)
I just misspelled a guy's name and therefore have to re-render a whole 45 minute video. Does anybody know of any spell-checking or grammar checking add on for any NLE? I work in Vegas and FCP....

In this case it probably wouldn't have changed anything (his last name was "Selby" - I had written down Shelby) but a spell-checker app would at least ask me if I thought this was correct.

For FCP, you could use the free text editor that comes with the Mac, Text Edit. Be sure to convert to plain text before importing into FCP's text boxes. It does spell check, but it said Shelby was correct and Selby wasn't, so in your case, it wouldn't have helped.

I use that to enter text from the program for scrolls while I'm waiting for the reception to start. Again, change to plain text before copy/paste into FCP.

Grant

Dean Sensui April 27th, 2007 02:58 AM

In Hawaii a spell check program is useless for names 90 percent of the time.

Hawaiian names, Japanese names, Filipino names... everything gets flagged! :-)

Only a few things helped me: Copy & Paste, a degree in journalism and a couple of years of experience as a copy editor.

Herman Van Deventer April 27th, 2007 05:42 AM

In South-Africa a spell checker goes bananas /

We've got 11 national languages squashed into one country as big as Texas.

That includes the bushmen / @#$%^^&&&$$#@@$%^ !

Herman.

Mike Teutsch April 27th, 2007 07:15 AM

I write it out in the credits and copy and then drop it into MS word to check spelling. I'm not a great speller, but names can REALLY get me into trouble, so, I try to get those involved to write down or email me the names for the credits etc. so that I have the correct spelling in my hands. Sometimes they are not what you thought they were at all!

Now a days even the most common names can have weird spellings because everyone is trying to be different. Some parents should be shot for the way they are spelling their child's first names. I can't imagine going through school with names spelled so strangely. No teacher or even another student can get it right! :)

Mike

George Ellis April 27th, 2007 11:22 AM

Meh on spell check. I always mess up the proper names and years. Just finished the 2006 Collins Hill Screaming Eagle Band video. Started playing the proof and there it was... 2007. :) 12 hours later...

Kevin Randolph April 27th, 2007 01:00 PM

I always thought that Apple should just tie the spell checker into FCP/FCE from Text Edit. It would make life much easier and they have already written the code...

Jim Andrada April 28th, 2007 12:04 AM

And I have to type real Japanese text in some of my stuff. No spell checker on earth will help.

Theodore McNeil April 30th, 2007 10:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely going to check out tiny spell.

Yeah, I usually type things out in text edit or word.

I just think it's funny that we can do track motion or make someone look like a smurf in post but it can't tell us if we spelled teh or adn wrong. ;)