Industry Standard for Bars and tone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 26th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Industry Standard for Bars and tone

So we have been working with this local duping house for over a year when just a couple days ago we get dinged with a $50 service charge for having the audio too hot. Of course I call them up and ask them what's up. They tell me that the spot itself was fine, but the bars and tone auido level was too hot by about 8db. I'm trying to figure out how this happens when all of a sudden he tells me that they have there machines set at -20db for bars and tone, while I have been using -12db for the longest time. Now my question is this, am I wrong in submitting my DV tape masters to be duped with -12db for the tone level? Maybe they havn't decided to charge the service charge until now, but I want to make sure that before I set the DB level to -20 that I'm not going to be setting it too low and therefore have our spots blasting the audio when broadcast. Anyone with some insight into this would be greatly appreciated for your help.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Trustee

-20 is correct for broadcast.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David for the quick reply. I guess I have to ask then why do my cameras and NLE's all export tone at -12db? To be honest I'm not really an editor, but I do end up doing alot of the editing lately, so I want to make sure I have this stuff right.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Different peeps have different specs you just have to make sure the delivery requirements are clear on what is desired. I've worked on shows where tone was level X and nothing could peak above level Y.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Wrangler

-12 is the standard for DV/DVCAM.

-20 is the standard all other pro digital formats like digibeta, DVCPRO50.

I've done a lot of dubbing here in L.A with various duplication companies, and never had them charge for something so petty. I think I'd have a little talk with them.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

1- I thought the standard for DVCAM was -20dBFS?? (Though I don't remember the decks too well.)

The standard tone level for many consumer formats would be -12dBFS... which is why a lot of NLEs default to -12.

2- I'd agree with Nate that this charge seems petty... especially when they did not communicate it to you beforehand.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #7
Trustee

Yeah, I've got to tell you that if someone tried to bill me for something like that, I'd immediately cut a check for $75 bucks and send it right to them with a note telling them how sorry I am that their business is going though such hard financial circumstances.

A lovely little note expressing my DEEP concern about their business - and a suggestion that I'm making it a point to TELL EVERYONE I COME IN CONTACT WITH IN THE INDUSTRY to please consider adding a "donation" to THEIR bills in the hopes that we could keep the poor facility from going under would probably do the trick.

For what it's worth.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Bill that's not a half bad idea. I luckily am not the one that foots the bill on this thing, but I will be sure to pass it along to my producers.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion