Sony FX-1 or Panasonic DVX-100b? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 28th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony FX-1 or Panasonic DVX-100b?

In your opinion, which is the way to go? Basically, I'll just be doing street interviews and the occasional wedding or event. I'm not very knowledgable with either of these, I did own a DVX 100a for a while but had to sell for personal reasons before I could work with it much. With the FX1, is the regular DV quality good enough for what I need or should I just stick with the DVX? Thanks
Bart McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Trustee

You can shoot in HDV and downconvert to DV. Once you see HDV quality, you probably won't want to work with DV much longer.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #3
New Boot

Ok, but if I was to use the FX1 and I'm shooting in SD, not HD, is it going to be decent compared to the DVX?
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #4
New Boot

FX 1 or DVX100b?

How is the SD footage on the FX1 and the DVX100b? I'm basically trying to figure out if the FX1, in SD mode, is comparable to the 100b. I'm not going to be making any films, just street interviews and various outdoor events like weddings etc. I like the fact that the FX1 shoots either or but if I'm not shooting HD on the FX1, is the quality decent still? If not, why? thanks, I'm a newbie still.
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Trustee

Since it looks as if you’re on a tight budget, did you ever consider the Canon XH-A1? You can get it for 3,250 at B&H. You get a picture that’s a bit better than the FX1 plus the added bonus of having XLR inputs. It’s essential for you interviews.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
Since it looks as if you’re on a tight budget, did you ever consider the Canon XH-A1? You can get it for 3,250 at B&H. You get a picture that’s a bit better than the FX1 plus the added bonus of having XLR inputs. It’s essential for you interviews.
Yeah, I do need the XLR inputs as I already have the mics. And yes, my budget is not too high. This is for a street ministry, I've raised the money myself and only have about $2400 max.

Do you know of a link to a site or a message board that compares the two camcorders? I found an older comparison but that was before HD became so popular.
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #7
Major Player

This is a good read, a better comparisation can't be found is my opinion:
http://dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/

In a nutshell:
- FX1 and DVX100 are different machines for different kind of tasks
- DVX100 is more professional when it comes to options, audio and quality, unless you want sharp interlaced HDV video
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Wrangler

Hi Bart. Please don't start another thread on the same topic in a different forum. Cross-posting is against DVinfo policy because it just creates confusion and duplication. I've merged your other thread with this one since it looks like you're getting some good responses here.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #9
Inner Circle

It seems an odd comparison, the FX1 and the DVX. The Panasomnic is old school, 4:3 SD and a much older design than the Sony. You're shooting weddings? How many couples that can afford your services come home from honeymoon and switch on a 4:3 TV? Answer: very few.

So go for the Sony. It's HDV or SD, it's 16:9 or 4:3, it has a longer zoom, a much nicer top screen that doesn't need a Hoodman ... but, no XLR inputs. So the DVX wins that side of the argument, and if your street interviews involve proper microphones this might well be the clincher. And the Panasonic gives startlingly good SD pictures, better in my view than the FX1 used in its SD mode.

What you really need is the Z1, but the price is climbing. It sounds as if Sony might have discontinued the FX1 in favour of the FX7, but the Z1 is a good distance apart from the V1 for a variety of reasons.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #10
Trustee

Simple soulution for the xlr inputs on the FX1. I have an FX1 and use a Beechtek box, which allows you to plug two xlr cable into the FX1.Around $200.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Trustee

This is why I never had any interest in the FX1. I just think it’s a hassle carrying something extra just to have XLR inputs plus it takes extra time setting everything up. Spending the extra money for a camcorder such as the Z1u, V1u and the XH-A1 is well worth it just for the XLR inputs alone. Besides, the XLR inputs there are extra picture adjustments.

Bart McCurdy,

I’ve used the Panasonic 100a a lot and it’s a remarkable camcorder and the 100b is obviously better but I believe you should stick with HD because their will be times where you’ll wish you had an HD camcorder and its better built for the future. For the reasons I’ve mentioned in the above paragraph, I really can’t recommend the FX1 either.

The 3,250 dollar price for the XH-A1 is an extremely good value. Just keep in mind that you would have to pay around 3,500. You would need to mail in the rebate to get 250 dollars off.

Its fully understandable if can’t afford it but if you can somehow come up with the extra funds to get this camcorder, I guarantee you that you wont regret it.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #12
Trustee

" I just think it’s a hassle carrying something extra just to have XLR inputs plus it takes extra time setting everything up."

There's nothing extra to "carry" with the FX1 and the Beechtek xlr adaptor. The Beechtek box stays bolted underneath, and the FX1 is still tripod ready. As far as "setting everything up", you just plug in the xlrs...nothing more.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #13
Regular Crew

FX1 vs DVX100

I highly recommend the Sony FX1 with a beachtek XLR audio adaptor. I have used this camera setup many times and I think it is still the best bang for the buck. The Canon XH-A1 has a much smaller LCD screen and I prefer the sony "look" better. I recently spoke to a sony rep and the FX1 HAS NOT been discontinued.

Joel Brooks
Moments in Time Video Productions
Joel Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Sorry guys...

...but I have to side with Paulo on this one. For just a little more money, The Canon A1 is a much better camera. It will do everything the FX1 will and more. It is much newer technology than the Sony. It's lens is just as wide as the FX1, but goes much further on the tele end. It has built-in XLR. It is much more customizable and professional.

I, too, was once nervous about the smaller LCD, but not after using it. The A1's screen is very sharp, the peaking function seems much better than the FX1's, and the autofocus works much better.

About the only thing I miss from the Sony is the nifty little lens cover thingy!

I have never used the DVX100's so I can't comment on them other than to say that SD's days are numbered.
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Claus View Post
About the only thing I miss from the Sony is the nifty little lens cover thingy!
Absolutely agree on that one.
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion