Screen Capture For Google Earth Tour? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Screen Capture For Google Earth Tour?

Hi All-
I want to record a tour of a neighborhood on Google Earth--actually, it's a fly-by of a "path" that I have laid out. I know Google Earth Pro lets you record movies, but I can't afford the $400 for a subscription...especially for a one-time clip of about 30 seconds long (it's for a home video for my parents...)

I've tried a few freeware screen capture apps (Camtasia and Camstudio) and the results have been poor--very low framerates, jumpy and slow. Not at all usable...

I guess that I could film the screen with my PDX-10, but I'm sure it will pick up the scan lines on my CRT. I don't have an LCD (I'm assuming that if I had one I could get away with it, right?) Borrow a laptop, maybe?

Can anyone think of a way to do this? Is there another video screen capture app that you could recommend from experience?

Thanks!
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Wrangler

Are you on the Mac or the PC? There are programs on the Mac which can capture any screen activity as a quicktime file and I assume there are similar things for the PC.

You should be able to shoot an LCD screen with your PDX-10 if that's the way you want to go. But with a Mac laptop you should also be able to use the S-video output to send the screen image to your PDX-10 for capture. I think you will find PC laptops with the same capability, and there are graphics cards for desktop machines which can also do this.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yeah try with the tv output from laptop to camera if you can usually s-video if not try http://www.fraps.com/ I used it for google earth for a client its only 37$ and will out put a raw avi at several frame rates ;)

Russ
Russell Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #4
New Boot

hm...are you try Macvide ScreenCap? I use this prog...
Bredly Root is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion