Concersation angle question (with image) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Concersation angle question (with image)

Ok, if this were the first angle of the conversation, red is the foreground (back of the head), blue is in the back ground, which wide of the frame would blue be on from his over the shoulder of the same conversation.

http://www.kiukle.com/temp/conversation.jpg
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Tourist

well, since the blue character is the dominant in this shot, I would then turn around and have blue dominant again, looking down on red, blue on the left, red in the lower right...that was my first thought

I just think that it would be weird to cut, but have the characters in the same position in the frame.

Last edited by Jason Trochesset; May 26th, 2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: adding more thoughts
Jason Trochesset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Trustee

The easiest way to understand shots like this is to imagine the characters on stage.

(Remember, traditional stage directions are always given from the point of view of an actor standing on stage looking out at the audience. If they point to the right, that's STAGE RIGHT. From the actors perspective again, toward the audience would be downstage, toward the back wall would be upstage)

So imagine that the blue character is "stage left" The red character is "stage right"

That would mean the blue character's right (upstage, or away from the audience) arm is pointing up.

What you're dealing with here is "crossing the line" in camera terms.

As long as you keep your cameras DOWNSTAGE of a line spliting both characters, it's impossible to confuse your audience with screen direction

So the reverse shot in this setup would traditionally be just off the blue characters left (downstage) shoulder. The back of blues head would fill the bottom right of the screen, with the red character filling the left side of the frame.

If you move ANY camera upstage of "the line", the screen direction will reverse.

Again, if you think about it in stage terms it makes immediate sense.

If you have a camera in the audience videotaping a character walking from Stage Right to Stage Left - but film it from a camera at the BACK of the stage - that same character will appear to walk from Stage Left to Stage Right - totally reversing the screen direction.

As long as all your shots originate from the SAME side of the line, everything's cool.

Hope that helps.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #4
Trustee

Shoot, I wrote that too fast. I mean to say the blue characters left or DOWNSTAGE shoulder. Sorry.

(Just realized I could edit my post - ignore this)

Last edited by Bill Davis; May 27th, 2007 at 01:37 AM. Reason: corrected a mistake in my previous post.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion