DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   UV filter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/951-uv-filter.html)

Bob Zimmerman February 14th, 2002 02:57 PM

UV filter

I think I'm going to get a UV filter. mainly to protect the lens. Does anyone see a problem with that? It's is a 72mm ? It looks like around $30 most places

Wayde Gardner February 14th, 2002 03:04 PM

Re: UV filter

<<<-- Originally posted by Zimvg304 : I think I'm going to get a UV filter. mainly to protect the lens. Does anyone see a problem with that? It's is a 72mm ? It looks like around $30 most places -->>>

Without that UV filter you risk scratching your lens. Unless you have removeable lenses, that euates to a very expensive papaer weight...

Protecting the lens via a UV filter was the first and I mean first thing I did when I pulled my Sony from the box.

TTFN
Wayde

Ken Tanaka February 14th, 2002 07:59 PM

Ditto. It's an essential. I highly recommend, however, that you get a good quality UV filter. By that I mean one that has excellent coatings to minimize flare and internal reflections between the lens and the filter (as well as to reduce bluish haze from atmospheric UV diffusion). I can't tell you how many times folks have griped about their XL1's lens flare only to discover that the problem was their cheapo UV filter. A good UV filter for the XL1 will run around $60. Remember, the UV filter will be the first element that photons will hit at your lens. The rest of the lens' elements get the left-overs.

Michael Page February 14th, 2002 08:30 PM

I've got to ask the what and where question. What is the name of the company that makes the $60 filter and where did you buy it?

Michael Page

Ken Tanaka February 14th, 2002 09:01 PM

What: There are several good brands. I like B+W (Schneider Optics) which makes several strengths of UV filters. The 010 MRC is my standard protective filter.

Where: B&H Photo

Schneider also makes clear protective filters.

ja135321 February 16th, 2002 12:13 PM

filter isnt standard in xl1s?

I thought the xl1s comes with a filter already on the lense.

Chris Hurd February 16th, 2002 12:43 PM

Howdy from Texas,

<< I thought the xl1s comes with a filter already on the lense. >>

You're thinking about the Neutral Density filter, where there's a switch on the side of the lens to turn it on or off. The internal Neutral Density filter is a different kind of filter than what's being discussed here, and it's deep inside the lens anyway.

What we're talking about here is a round UV filter that screws onto the end of the lens, and protects the front of the lens from smudges and scratches. If this UV filter ever does get scratched, just replace it for less than $100. If the front element of the XL1 lens ever gets scratched, it's very expensive repair. A UV fliter is like an insurance policy for your lens, and it's the only external filter you really need when you're first starting out.

Ron Pfister February 17th, 2002 10:24 AM

Nikon L37c

Hello all,

I just wanted to add that I have been very happy with Nikon L37c UV-haze filters (you can get them at <http://www.bhphotovideo.com>). What I like particularly - apart from the excellent optical coatings - is that the rim of the filter is very low profile. This comes in very handy when using extreme wide-angle lenses. The filters are made in many different sizes...

HTH,

Ron

Peter Koller February 17th, 2002 10:59 AM

Just to add my 2 cents: I was on a shoot in the middle Mexico about a year ago and had nothing with me but the basic XL1 kit, no filters, no protection bag (I was young and dumb then). There were lots of dust, dirt, I shot out of driving cars, holding the camera out of the window (just inches above the street) and praying that no wrongguided stone would hit my lens. The only things I had for cleaning was some lens tissue and a mouthful of breath to blow the dust from my camera. Maybe I was just the luckiest jackass on the planet but I got away from there without having a single scratch nor even a shadow on my lens.

This lens can take a lot of abuse. But in the meantime I do have my filter and never take it off, because it calmes you nerves and keeps you from having a heart attack if really something happens...

Cheers, Peter

Chris Hurd February 17th, 2002 11:14 AM

Wow, what a story Peter... no wonder you use a UV filter all the time now, because you really tempted fate there in Mexico.

;-)