DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   I need a camera but I'm not that serious....... yet (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/96955-i-need-camera-but-im-not-serious-yet.html)

Doug Cooper June 20th, 2007 06:47 AM

I need a camera but I'm not that serious....... yet

First, I would like to thank all the pros that share a ton of info on this site.

I know that a lot of people here are professional filmmakers, videographers, directors, etc... and some are aspiring to become one. I'm neither. I'm an independent music producer and making music has always been first passion. I have to admit though... this video making bug is starting to bite. I'm very intrigued and want to see if this will become something more. Right now I just want a camera to play around with. If I do get serious in the future then I will upgrade to a more professional camera. I'm looking at something in the $1000 range. The two I've been looking at is the Canon HV20 and the Panasonic GS500. What are the pros/cons of these cameras? Are there any other cameras in that range that I should be considering? I just want to maybe make a video press kit, or a cheesy low budget music video, be an free extra camera man for family/friends weddings, etc. Thanks for any advice.

Mark Kenfield June 20th, 2007 07:01 AM

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the boards. The general consensus at the moment is that the HV20 is the camera to beat at that price level. The build quality is somewhat inferior to some of the other models out there (Sony, JVC). But the image quality is fantastic and you can shoot in 24p/25p progressive (depending on where you live).

Low light capabilities are not very strong on any of the handycam-sized HD cameras (too many pixels spread over too small sensors for decent low-light sensitivity) but other than that, you'll be very pleased with the footage it can give you. The GS500 is an okay camera, but HV20 is much better IMO.

Dave Blackhurst June 20th, 2007 06:30 PM

Hi Doug -
I'd second the HV20 - lot of bang for the buck, just get past the build quality... other alternatives would be a used HC1 or if you can find one used an HC7.

That's if you are ready to deal with HD, if not, there's lots of good SD cameras dropping in price right now... if you look around for lightly used.

Doug Cooper June 21st, 2007 05:21 AM

Thanks guys. I like the option of shooting in HD or SD. I probably will go with the HV20.

Chris Barcellos June 21st, 2007 09:49 AM

HV20 is proving to be a great inexpensive base from which to film with a 35mm adapters. Letus and Brevis adapters give you a compact easy to manipulate camera, that can still be hand held, or shot in many configuration. There are special issues associated with the lack of some pro features, but there are also viable work arounds. I continue to be amazed at what we see coming out of this camera.

Ian G. Thompson June 21st, 2007 10:17 AM

Doug, I just sold my GS500 a couple months ago and picked up the HV20. I liked the GS500 and I thought it was a great cam for the SD world. But you will definately get hooked on the HV20. The nice thing about it is you have an option on whether to shoot HD or SD but honestly....once you've checked out its performance, It'll be HD all the way.

Chris Barcellos June 21st, 2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson (Post 700361)
Doug, I just sold my GS500 a couple months ago and picked up the HV20. I liked the GS500 and I thought it was a great cam for the SD world. But you will definately get hooked on the HV20. The nice thing about it is you have an option on whether to shoot HD or SD but honestly....once you've checked out its performance, It'll be HD all the way.

Down rezzinging in post to SD works great too.....

Doug Cooper June 21st, 2007 11:54 AM

I'm very excited and can't wait to play around with video. It's definately refreshing.

About the 35mm adapters... do they automatically fit or do I have to adjust them somehow? I'm confused about the whole thing even though I hear lots of people talk about them.