DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   need a new communication system (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/97038-need-new-communication-system.html)

Jack Smith June 21st, 2007 12:49 AM

need a new communication system

Well, I find myself in need of a new comm system.I'm heavily considering the eartec with 4 units.Are their any other options at similar or cheaper pricing?
Anyone using this system that may have some review/input?

Chris Christ June 21st, 2007 10:35 AM

Eartec makes a line of full-duplex units (no push-to-talk).

Google is your friend . . . .

Jack Smith June 21st, 2007 09:13 PM

Thanks Chris.Yes, Eartec has a good line up and as I said, I am considering them.I have googled for comm systems but not found many "reviews" from experience.I have been to the Eartec site.
I wonder which headsets I might choose and am looking for suggestions.Have you used the Eartec system?

Ervin Farkas June 22nd, 2007 05:40 AM

I use a 4-unit system for filming at my church, probably the one you looked at (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uplexing.html). It works fine, I would say that it's worth what we paid for, just under $800 - but it shows it's limits when the ambient audio level gets higher. Depending on your application you may want to step up to something better.

One detail might be important to note: "full duplexing" doesn't mean all four units can talk to each other at the same time - it only means that the master unit can talk to any slave unit full duplex; the other slave units have to be on "receive" and will not hear the active slave's transmission.

Jack Smith June 22nd, 2007 08:23 AM

Thanks Ervin.That is the one I am looking at.The enviroment we need it for is in fact music performance, so I'm a little worried now.Is it a headset issue?
The duplex issue isnt a problem as it is mostly the director talking to camera people in a one way conversation.
We have been using a wired clearcom system until now,which worked fine except hauling the cabling around.
What might be another option? Different headsets? or what other wireless system is there?

Jack Smith June 25th, 2007 12:19 AM

Do the td900's have a volume control?
I see the new 24g does.
Anyone have a headset suggestion?

Ervin Farkas June 25th, 2007 05:28 AM

When I say "it shows it's limits" I mean we may need to repeat the message. A better headset covering both ears would probably work better but in our situation it's important that the cameramen also hear what's going on in the church. The microphones are noise cancelling, so it should work quite well with headsets completely covering both ears.

The 904 has volume control, has two channels to use within the frequency; it has countless frequencies you can set in case you have an interference with other equipment.

Best thing would be for you to test them. If you can't find a pair to test, maybe you can buy them from some place where you can return them the first two weeks or so.

Jack Smith June 25th, 2007 08:22 AM

Thanks Ervin.There is no distributor in the area, although I'd love to test them, even for a day, I think that is not possible here.
I would normally have double muffs on the tripod cameras and single on the mobile(s).
Good to know they have a volume control.Thanks for that.
What is the reason you may need to repeat a message?Are there dropouts or just missed message because of single muff?

Jack Smith July 3rd, 2007 08:48 PM

Well, thanks everyone for your input.I've ordered an Eartec 24g 4 radio system and the Proline headsets.I have a mix of single muff and double muffs coming.When I get this set I'll test it and report my findings.

Jack Smith October 4th, 2007 11:19 PM

OK, I've been using the Eartec 24g 4 radio system.
Overall they work well for the situation I shoot in.The crew is a director and 3 camera persons.Only one cam can respond at a time.Not like the full duplex system I'm used to(as Ervin pointed out).But it actually works good as the director doesn't normally have the camera responding.I got the better headsets(proline) and they are quite comfortable.Good range in theatre sized locations.I haven't tried them in a large concert setting yet.No problem with being able to hear and no dropped communications.
So far so good, I'll update if anything changes.

Mark Sasahara October 11th, 2007 08:03 PM

Heh, just be sure that people don't talk loudly, because they can't hear themselves. A common headphone phenomenon. Funny when you're at the store or at home, but not during a service.