inserting a building into a shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 15th, 2003, 09:53 PM   #1
Wrangler

inserting a building into a shot

I need to insert a large building into a scene. My first idea is to do it practicaly, as a painting on a sheet of glass or plexiglass, and then just film through it.

Choice number two is to do it digitaly, either by taking a picture of a real building, or painting it and scanning it.

Anyone have any suggestions, or know any websites where I can find out more ways of doing this?

Thanks
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #2
New Boot

Is it a lock-off? If it is, there are quite a few ways to attack it. If you have any camera move at all, including zooms, bounces, or if it is hand-held it is going to be pretty difficult. Please give more detail about the shot.

~Brad
Brad Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #3
Wrangler

I haven't composed the shot yet. It will probably be locked down, to avoid extra complications.

It's basicaly going to be a castle atop a hill, or possibly in a field.
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #4
High School Student

If there's no motion in the shot. It's pretty easy...I can even do it with Vegas 4, with no problem. Just get your picture of the castle that you want to put at the top of the hill, take a framegrab of the video that you want to put it in, take it into Photoshop, slap them on different layers, and then use the erase tool to fit the castle on there, the way you want it, delete the framegrab layer, make sure its transparent, and then save the PSD, bring that back into Vegas (or whatever program you are using) and lay it over it.....atleast thats how I would do it...

And if there need to be motion, you can keyframe each frame....
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #5
New Boot

Well, if you haven't composed it yet then try to make it a lock-off, unless it is an AMAZINGLY important shot. I have worked on a number of projects where elements were required to match-move and it is time-consuming and expensive. If you are doing this yourself, then only the time-consuming part is important, but don't underestimate the difficulty here. If you are just shooting a master/establishing shot then it won't look unnatural if its a lock-off. If this is the case I would recommend digital matte-painting. Trying to find an uncopywrited image of a castle that matches the perspective, lighting, etc. of your shot will be an adventure. If you have a budget I can hook you up with some people. If you don't have a budget, post a link to the final shot when you get it and I can take a look at it. Hope this helps.

~Brad
Brad Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Major Player

the other suggestion..........

Green Screen
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:07 AM   #7
Wrangler

Thanks guys. going to do some test samples sometime in the next week or two. Will post samples when don.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion