Shooting progressive-scan versus de-interlacing (properly) in post - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus van Bavel View Post
I recommend that you pre-process the clips to 25P before editing. This can be particularly important if you have any transitions, motion or time effects, or superimposed motion graphics. Even on a cuts-only edit the deinterlacer can be confused by processing edited material.
Thanks loads for the reply. I did consider converting my 1080/50i clips to 25p or 50p before editing. Unfortunately, this option isn't really available to me because I have 30 hours of footage and so I can't use an intermediate like Cineform because I don't have enough disk space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus van Bavel View Post
WMV9 tends to smear out and then undersample smooth areas to reduce bandwidth, I would not use it as an intermediate.
Sure. I only intend to use WMV9 as the delivery codec, not as an intermediate.
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kelly View Post
My only slight concern is that aviSynth has to convert the colour model. I can only get this workflow to work by exporting from PPro as "Microsoft AVI", compressor=none. This produces an RGB24 file which needs to be converted using ConvertToYUY2. I can't detect any noticeable damage to the image though.
Indeed, that is less than desirable; the RGB file sizes must be gigantic.

You might consider exporting to HuffYuv as a lossless YUY2 intermediate:

http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley...g/huffyuv.html

..or one of the other lossless YUV formats, including those found in FFDShow:

http://www.compression.ru/video/code...s_2007_en.html

However, if you dont have enough disc space for Cineform (which technically is not lossless), you wont for these formats either.

There is also an AVISynth export plugin for PPro. Apparently, the original plugin is now outdated, but there is an alternative AVISynth-compatible frameserver, PluginPace, that works with Premiere, Vegas and Ulead

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...miere+AVISynth

Again, I've never tried it myself.

Edit: Here's some more info on frameserving from Premiere to AVISynth. Q2.5 gives the link for PluginPace:

http://avisynth.org/Section+2:+AviSy...d+frameserving

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; July 15th, 2007 at 03:40 AM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley View Post
However, if you dont have enough disc space for Cineform (which technically is not lossless), you wont for these formats either.
Ah - I don't have enough room for 30 hours of Cineform. But my edit will be about 30 minutes so I should have plenty of space for 30 minutes of a YUV uncompressed 8-bit file. I'll certainly look into PluginPace - thanks for the heads-up on that one.
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion