Tape problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 27th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape problems

I recently had the first 5 minutes of two video tapes show pixelation or some sort of glitch, messing up the picture. I just cleaned the heads a week ago.

I am wondering if having the blank tapes (in their plastic containers) loose in my camera bag along side several camera batteries could have caused the prob.
Can electiricity from video batteries affect a tape in a plastic casing??
thanks
Rich Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Rich...........

Short answer: No.

If there is no current running through a circuit there can be no magnetic field from that current. A battery on it's own, not connected, cannot create a magnetic field (well, ok, no battery I've ever come across, no doubt someone will come up with one that can, but in my space/ time continuem, no!).

As for your problem, hmm.

Could be particles in the bag getting transfered (got any cats?).

Maybe do what I do, run the cleaning tape before putting any new tape in the transport.

How long have these tapes not been used? Could be you need to FF them then rewind before trying to write to them.

Is the bag kept at a low/ high temp with the tapes inside, then the tapes transferred to a cold/hot cam? Not good.

The fact that it's only the first 5 minutes suggests a problem with camera/ tape temp/ humidity.

Best I can do for the moment.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You use the cleaning tape that often? I was taught that you should use it very sparingly, as it sands down the tapeheads on your camera. You dont want that.
I see that the instructions on the head cleaning package says: caution, avoid using more than necessary, as it could damage heads.
Rich Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Rich,

I run the tape head cleaner through once before any important paying gig. That's sometimes twice a week, about five or ten tapes apart.

I'd try running the head cleaner again. Set the camera up, and roll a tape ALL THE WAY through to the end. Let the tape roll out to stop. Check the first five and last five minutes of the tape. IF you have dropouts at these points, then you might have tension reel or tape head issues.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion