DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   newbie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/977-newbie.html)

ja135321 February 16th, 2002 01:59 AM

Hi sorry for the ignorance but, I just bought an xl1s and am wondering if anyone has suggestions on what else I need? I know its a broad question, but I'm completely new to this and am picking it up as a hobby. Also, I'm wondering if having the Radeon8500 allinwonder DV, helps.

Thanks in Advance.

Ken Tanaka February 16th, 2002 02:30 AM

Some Tape Might Be Handy

<g> Welcome!

Seriously, telling us a bit more about your situation and plans would help us with good suggestions. For example, what kind of things do you want to do? How do you plan to edit and finish your work? Do you expect to work by yourself or with others (as a crew)? Do you have a very tight or very generous budget?

In general, the first thing I'd recommend is holding onto your credit cards and just start shooting with your new XL1s to learn its characteristics and handling. Shoot anything. Just shoot, shoot, shoot for a while. Also poke around on this and other forums and pick up some reading material (ex: DV Magazine, Videography Magazine, some of the books posted in an earlier thread here, and take time to read through most of the articles on the XL1 Watchdog). You already have the main item that you'll need.

ja135321 February 16th, 2002 12:00 PM

The reason I asked was because when I found the xl1s for $2400.00, I jumped to buy it. I found out that you have to buy the lense filter pack for $369.00, a real battery because the one it has is supposedly "sub standard" for $200.00, 6 pack film for $200.00, 5 year warranty for $599.00, etc... so when I said, I just want the camera, they said, we dont have any in stock. Haha, so I had to goto a reputable Canon Dealer and got the camera for $3700.00 but now am wondering if I didn't need all that crap? I mean the Canon lens filter set is around $130.00. Does anyone have a preference? I don't even know what brand filters are supposed to be the best?

Ken Tanaka February 16th, 2002 12:20 PM

First, to put your mind to rest, you got a very good price for the the standard XL1s kit.

It sounds like you were almost duped by one of the NY/Brooklyn gang. (Let's guess...Broadway Photo?) They are notorious for listing owner-has-brain-damage prices only to suck you into buying "extras" (often times crap) at outrageous prices. Congratulations for not falling into the trap! With the standard kit you have just about everything you need. BTW, they fed you alot of doo-doo. The Canon batteries are fine, with the BP945 being the longest capacities. Lenmar also makes a reportedly vey good long-life battery. Re: filters, for normal shooting all you really need is a good UV haze filter.

As a general rule it's good to check www.resellerratings.com before buying from a new dealer. B&H Photo in NYC (www.bhphoto.com) is the gold standard for video stuff. ZGC (www.zgc.com) is also a really fine dealer committed to the video industry. Both are highly reputable.

Be sure to register your new XL1s with Canon's XL1s Owner's Club (the form should be in the box). It's not an extended warranty per se but it enables you to get the camera checked periodically.

Have a blast with your new camera.

ja135321 February 16th, 2002 05:37 PM

broadway <--a bunch of crooks!

yes exactly! it was broadway photo, they charged me 3 time on the credit card, with out even sending product. Says, I charged up 19K, So I had to call my credit card cancel the card, get new ones issued and disputed the claim. what a hassle, pray those bastards never get your cc info.