mac vs. ibm movie maker software, photoshops - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 20th, 2002, 12:01 AM   #16
Trustee

I live in Chigasaki, it's on the beach south of Yokohama, about 15mins drive(on a good day) from Kamakura. The surf is OK, make San Diego surf seem huge though. It's close to the Gotemba ski resorts and a reasonable drive to Nagano so I'm quite happy. Mind you getting good work is difficult, I'm over teaching English, most of the language schools here are really bad. Any teachers in western countries should be thankful for what they've got.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2002, 11:22 AM   #17
Regular Crew

xeon dual 2.2 ghz vs. g4 dual 1.0 ghz

I just looked up the benchmarks for this under Adobe Premiere and the Xeons runs circles around the G4's. I'm in quite a delimma as to which to choose. Although one might say, use final cut pro 3. Well, Avid is coming out with xpress 3 which totally utilizes dual processing in both mac and pc platforms. So which to choose?
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2002, 12:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I really enjoyed the food over in Tokyo. Can't believe I went for 11 days without as much of a sniff of Mexican food and a margarita.

I think what really freaked me out were the train station box lunches. Never had any food that was pink or bright purple.

Trucked out one night into Ueno where a sushi bar owner, Satoh-san, and his staff treated me to the most incredible dinner I've ever had. I've even toyed with the idea of going back and doing a doc on Japanese food... Shabu-Shabu, noodle stands, yakatoris, etc. Westerners have no idea of the vast difference in culinary fare.

I did manage to get some very cool video of the auctions at the Tsukjii fish market about 7am right before a freash breakfast of sushi at th4e Sushi Bun.

I'm definately ready for another trip. Who knows, maybe I could be "Emeril on the road"

Wayde

Sorry - and how does this relate to the timeless PC/Mac question? I'll pack up my Titanium, load up the VX2000 and have a very nice mobil production studio ready tofine tune on my G4 at home...
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2002, 12:51 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Which to choose? The one you're most comfortable with. Get some face time with each and try before you buy. Forget about processor speed and all that guff... either it's real-time or it isn't, and if you're not comfortable with the interface then you won't be doing very much editing. I went with Canopus because I like their editing software and I have Premiere when I need it. I didn't choose Final Cut Pro because I'm not a Mac guy. I have used FCP before, though. If you're a Mac person, FCP makes a lot of sense. But don't get hung up on the numbers. Numbers are meaningless... it's how the screen looks, how the interface feels, and can you make sense of it and use it quickly and comfortably. That's what really matters.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2002, 04:52 PM   #20
Machinist Mate

>>>To sum it up, plug'n'play - MAC, computer savvy, like to fiddle - PC<<<

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I also love the line about they don't care if you edited it on a Toyota Corolla!!

Since I barely have time to even get the projects worked on, I certainly have even less time to tinker with computers and such...and I am in awe of those who are so adept at it. I just want to get in and drive the dad-gum Corolla, and leave the techno-sophistry to the computer engineers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion