DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Striping on different decks a problem? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/9824-striping-different-decks-problem.html)

Brendan Getchel May 19th, 2003 03:06 PM

Striping on different decks a problem?

I have "emotional problems" when I think about striping every tape on the same deck I shoot with -- in my case a Canon GL2. The added wear and tear to the transport and heads makes me cringe when I think about it.

Are there any problems striping on either a different deck or camera? Right now I have two cheapy MiniDV cameras (Panasonic PV-DV900 and PV-DV100) that get little use and would be just perfect for striping duty. However, I have played a tape shot using the one of the Pannys in the GL2 and it was very problematic. Although I'd be recording over the striped tape, is this not recommended?

How do you pros stripe? Do you use a deck?

Jeff Donald May 19th, 2003 03:11 PM

I don't stripe. I don't do linear editing. Because of time code issues with some NLE's some people feel the need to stripe tapes. This subject has been covered in the past. You may want to search the topic to get various views.

Brendan Getchel May 19th, 2003 03:21 PM

I did a fairly lengthy search on "Striping tapes" here just moments ago and saw some of the reasoning/responses. Fact is, most NLE's won't do a batch capture if you don't stripe your tapes, or at least it's a hit or miss proposition. I don't do it for anything else but convenience of capture in post.

I admit not fully understanding the way DV T/C works and how striping really helps. All I know is that when I log tape in Xpress DV it'll freak out of I use tape that wasn't striped.

I did learn about the REC SEARCH feature in my search travels however. Do you consider this to be the best way to maintain T/C on DV?

Also, I was under the impression that T/C was restarted every time you STOP recording, not just when you shut the camera off. Just when is T/C reset?

Thanks Jeff.

Jeff Donald May 19th, 2003 04:34 PM

A few mini DV and DVCam cameras allow the user to control time code features. If the GL2 does not (I don't believe it does) then the easiest way is to insure that you don't break TC is to over record. Once the scene has ended just roll a few seconds of tape. I actually wave my hand in front of the lens a half dozen times to indicate a scene break. It is very easy to find scene breaks in FF with the hand wave.

If the camera comes out of pause just back up the tape into the over record portion and record/pause the camera again. When you start recording the next scene the camera will sync to the existing TC as it rolls to the record in point. TC will be continuous. No need to put wear and tear on any of your cameras.

Brendan Getchel May 19th, 2003 05:07 PM

Good deal.

Thanks Jeff. I really value your input on these forums and it's clear why you're a moderator. I've always hated the arduous task of pre-striping all of my tapes, but just figured it was a necessary evil.

Now I won't bother.