six pin to four pin adaptor question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Major Player

six pin to four pin adaptor question.

I just tried to hook up my motu with my laptop and noticed I needed a six pin firewire, not a four. Apparently the motu can't draw power from a four pin. I did a google search for a four to six adaptor and it looks like I'm out of luck but there are so many resourceful people here I figured someone might have a work around.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can get a 6-pin FW card that fits into your laptop. I'm not sure what that interface is... it might be PCMCIA or something else.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

They're either PCMCIA or PC Express, depending on the age, make and model of the laptop.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Major Player

You didn't say which Motu your using, but if you check with Motu you will find that as long as the Motu is powered by DC( battery or a/c adapter),the bus power is not used as in the Traveler.
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/tech...FireWire-Power
The 6 pin configuration is to carry power to the device and if powered by DC you can use a 4pin to 6 pin cable.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you, your threads have saved me a great deal of trouble. I have the motu ultralight and a relatively new dell and I need to get it (gulp) dialed in before wednesday. I didn't see anything in the manual about an alternative power source, but then I stopped reading when it said I couldn't use a four pin and I started grinding my teeth and googling. Thank you to all once again.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've used a 6pin-to-4pin cable with my 828mkII (which is mains powered) to my laptop for over a year with ZERO problems.

Data is carried on the 4pins, the extra 2 pins only carry power and if you've got the firewire device plugged into the wall you can just ignore them.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion