AF100/AF101 plus nanoFlash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 15th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

AF100/AF101 plus nanoFlash

These are exciting times and many people are very excited about the Panasonic AF100/AF101 camera.
This very impressive new camera produces very nice images using AVCHD.

We get questions concerning using the nanoFlash with the Panasonic AF100/AF101 cameras.

I have prepared this list with the reasons why one might consider adding a nanoFlash to these wonderful cameras.

It should be stated that for some, recording in-camera will be satisfactory and thus a nanoFlash may not be needed.

For others, adding a nanoFlash will greatly extend the capabilities of this wonderful camera.

1. By adding a nanoFlash, your images will be in 4:2:2, as opposed to 4:2:0 when recording
in-camera. 4:2:2 images provide much more Chroma detail.

This is, by far, the number one reason to add a nanoFlash to the AF100/AF101.

No matter how great one says the native AVCHD images are, the 4:2:2 images recorded by the nanoFlash will always be superior. 4:2:0 images are not in the same league as 4:2:2 images.

2. With the nanoFlash recording in 4:2:2, Chroma Keying (greenscreen work) will be much cleaner and easier.

The difference is dramatic when one records in 4:2:2 as opposed to 4:2:0.

3. The nanoFlash’s images will hold up much better in post, especially in serious color grading and other multi-generation post work. The nanoFlash images can hold more detail in the shadows and in the highlights.

4. The high-bit rate options of the nanoFlash provide insurance against an image with excessive detail, or a shooting situation where there is excessive motion in the image or in the camera. These are situations where a lower bit-rate codec can produce less than stellar results.

5. The nanoFlash records in native Quicktime for Final Cut Pro. The files are easily edited and do not tax the processing power of one’s editing computer. Also, the workflow is “Drag and Drop” simple, and thoroughly proven.

6. The nanoFlash, via a menu option, can also record in native MXF for easy editing in Avid,
Sony Vegas, Edius, or Adobe CS5 and other NLE’s (Non-Linear Editors).

Disclaimer: I am the Director of Sales and Marketing for Convergent Design and the nanoFlash and nano3D are our products.
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Space Hipster

The bitn rate can be increased to 100 mbps with the Nano, if I'm not mistaken, compared to the native 24mbps, correct?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Glen,

Yes, absolutely, the nanoFlash can record up to 280 Mbps.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The AF-100 plus a NanoFlash is my Rig-to-Be 4:2:2 and 100mbps will really push this cameras output into "cinema level" quality. Not that without it wouldnt hold up well on a 40ft screen, but with a nano, this things picture would likely stack up well against just about any other 1080 setup. F3 included.

One question:

Will it be possible for me to record simeltaneously to a NanoFlash and to the SD cards? if so, then you should add that to the list of benefits. Having an automatic backup on media cheap enough to archive like tapes is a huge thing, and really adresses the ONLY thing DV tapes had over solid state workflow. I wuld sleep much easier during production knowing that I have both a 4:2:2 version, and an "OMG WHAT HAPPENED TO MY FOOTAGE" backup, just in case.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

I am sure the simulations recording will work great in the AF100.

I use it with my EX1R and EX3 all the time, nice peace of mind.

I am very exited about the 100/NF combo myself.

Normally you can trigger the NF to record by having TC set to rec run so when the TC advances the NF starts and stops when TC advancement ends. This is really a convenient way to record on both internal and NF media.

Dan can probably comment on this, but I understand that the AF100 may put a signal out over HD-SDI that will cause the NF to record as well in a future FW upgrade.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Can Nano Flash record 1080 50p? This is a great attribute of AF100...
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Yes, you can certainly record to the nanoFlash and AF100/AF101/AF102 simultaneously.

And yes you can trigger on incrementing timecode, or in a future release via an additional method.

Sorry, but the nanoFlash can not record 1080p50 or 1080p60 as these frame rates are not output over the HD-SDI from the camera.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:57 PM   #8

There is no 1080 50P or 60P output during over crank in the HD-SDI or HDMI on the AF100, because there is no such thing in the specs of those protocols.

So the 1080 over crank will have to be internal only. Jan said in Boston that there is no output at all when over cranking in 1080. I did read somewhere else that there may be standard 1080 60i/50i output then but I am not sure that is right, maybe someone here knows for sure.

So until the HDMI or more likely HD-SDI standards change this will not be possible.
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Tourist

Nanoflash Power supply for AF100

Power supply is a big issue for AF100.
Can we get a battery product for both AF100 and nanoflash power at same time just as Sony EX do?
Yi-nan Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Yi-nan,

Yes, will have multiple options shortly.
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Major Player

I don't know why Panasonic didn't just provide a higher bit rate 4:2:2
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Trustee

Most likely marketing and cost reasons. They would wanted to have P2 cards for that as well.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #13

Both AntonBauer Goldmount and IDX V-mount plates will be available with both 12v and 7.3 taps.

I will be putting those on a NanoFlash mounting plate and shoulder brace combo, with adjustable 15mm rod system available as well as VCT-14 wedge quick release option custom made for the AF100.

I will have other power options available as well.

This should be available in January. I am still waiting for my AF100 to set up the rig.

If anyone is interested in helping me beta test this setup, contact me.

olof@westsideav.com
603-383-9283
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #14
Major Player

50mbps or more is safely doable with CF. Less compression should be easier, except for possibly needing more buffer on the write side. 24 mbps is just intentionally crippling the camera, AFAIK.

This is why we need Red on the lower end. The Japanese oligopoly dribbling out the minimum they feel they can get away with is tiresome.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Oligopoly.....

'The Japanese oligopoly dribbling out the minimum they feel they can get away with is tiresome'

Roger that Don, but why would an industry, like the Japanese pro-video, cut it's own throat?They will hand out crumbs untill the Bastille burns.

The bean counters rule - even in Japan.

Now, I would have used oligarchy, but I would have been wrong... the rule of a small elite, but not in the world of commerce.

Play Scrabble by any chance?

Last edited by Godfrey Kirby; December 13th, 2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Lack of attention to detail. Ooppps
Godfrey Kirby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders