Panasonic AG-HMC 150 discussion - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 04:39 PM   #91
Regular Crew

Thanks to all in this thread and over in the XH-A1 forum for your advice. I decided to bite the bullet and order the HMC150 today. I plan to order two PNY 16gb SDHC class 4 cards, a spare large battery and 72mm UV filter later this evening. I already have a good shotgun mic, tripod, etc. I am hoping this is enough to get me going. Soon I know I will be looking for a significant upgrade to my current video PC as I start cranking through that AVCHD.
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #92
Major Player

Hi Jerry,

Just wondering if you received your new camera yet, and what your initial first impressions are?

BTW, what NLE are you currently using, and will be using to edit the AVCHD files?

Best,
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #93
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff, I've received it and have been so busy I have only done some token shots. I plan to spend most of Sunday or Monday shooting, trying all the different settings and features.

The best advice I got here was to NOT RENT an HD camera for an upcoming event that would allow me only one or two days to come up to speed with a camera new to me. Buying this camera was definitely the right choice. I've got a lot to learn and have been reading through the manual and the forums every chance I get. I love the feel of the camera and, for the most part, the layout of the controls. I came from a GL2 and obviously the IQ on this cam is so much better. Maybe the GL2 focuses a little faster though.

I think I will really like the way you can shoot with the HMC150 in manual, but then auto reset the focus or iris with a quick touch of a button - this will be very useful. I expect I will get used to the placement of these buttons - I think it would be more logical for me if they were side by side, but one with a bump and the other with an indent so you could operate those two easily by feel.

I edit in Vegas 8c but am unfortunately running on a Pentium 4 3.0ghz. But I am surprised that I can preview a single 720 24p clip in "almost" real time. I haven't yet tried compositing multiple tracks. I will be getting a quad core before long. I had planned to do that no matter which cam I bought.

I'll post more when I have some meaningful experience to share. Thanks for your insights that helped me with the decision to go with the HMC150.

Jerry
Old October 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #94
Major Player

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the reply. Definitely understand about not renting a camera you're not familiar with; a couple of days isn't enough time to learn to use it. I'm glad you like the choice you've made in buying the HMC150.

I've been also thinking about the HD migration, and started out when we bought the Canon HV30. Unfortunately, we'll need to update our PC as well (still editing with an old Dell Dimension, 3.4ghz hyperthread, 2gRam, XP); and been thinking going quad core to best deal with HDV files (and maybe AVCHD files!). Currently, we've been shooting with the XL2 for a better part of two and half years, and will still continue to shoot SD at least for the better part of next year. (Thankfully, clients have not asked for HD, but still want to be prepared when they do.)

Will be looking forward to more updates.

(BTW, I think you're mistaking me for the other Jeff, Mr. Jeff Kellam, who has generously posted photos of his HMC150, and wrote about his impressions of the cam.)

Best,
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #95
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Norman View Post
I am possibly interested in a HMC150 but I am having a hard time finding definitive information about it. I have downloade Panasonic's brochure and it is helpful but not complete enough. Specifically, can anyone tell me if it offers the following two features:

- Ability to do rack focus (i.e., A1's ability to set a focus point, and return to it via push of a button).
- Ability to smoothly ramp a zoom in/out of the zoom end points.
Jerry:

Update - I have found the HMC-150 will do some amazing rack focus shots. You need this tool:

Bogen / Manfrotto | 521PFI Focus Remote Control | 521PFI | B&H

Well worth it.

Jeff
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #96
New Boot

My 150 is on it's way.

Just ordered the 150 from B&H photo for 3500. It will be here next week. Can't wait ! :-)

Been shooting with my trusty old Canon GL2 for the last four years without any problems.
That camera has been through hell and high water which included three typhoons in Saipan and the Phillipines. It "just keeps going" :-) It is one honey of a machine.
Needed to move up to HD. The Canon A1 was my 1st choice for awhile. Had a strong need to get out of the tape business.

The 150 won by being tapeless. I consider myself a rank newbie when it comes to talking about more of the technical stuff you all are talking about. Slowly getting a handle on it. Used Pinnacle 9 , 10 and Avid Liquid for most of my editing in SD.

Just bought a quad core computer with the Phenom chip and 3 gigs of RAM to edit with P-12 as soon as my graphic card arrives too. PNY XLR8 GeForce 8800 GT. The computer has XP installed. Some of my friends said that I need to get XP pro or consider the possibility of of going to Vista. Open to suggestions here.

I hope I am on the right track with this combo. Still groping in the dark and feeling my way along as best as I can.

Will keep shooting SD with my GL2 as I make the slow transition to tapeless HD. The 150 has two XLR inputs. Can I buy a mini adapter for my RODE shot gun to plug into the XLR ? I shoot mostly travel logs and an occasional wedding, lots of yacht races and surfing contest's from the back of a powerboat or jet ski. Thanks in advance for your replies on this. Bob :-)
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #97
Tourist

AVC HD footage importing too quickly

I need some assistance. I have footage shot at 720p 30fps and when I play it back natively in toast 9 it looks great.

Any time I try to encode it either in Final Cut or Toast it renders very fast. It is like it doubled the frame rate. No matter what frame rate I import it at or what codec I use it always comes out super fast. Any ideas?
Aaron McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 04:55 AM   #98
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron McIntosh View Post
I need some assistance. I have footage shot at 720p 30fps and when I play it back natively in toast 9 it looks great.

Any time I try to encode it either in Final Cut or Toast it renders very fast. It is like it doubled the frame rate. No matter what frame rate I import it at or what codec I use it always comes out super fast. Any ideas?
Why is the fast rendering a problem? I'm sure many would be happy with that, how about the output quality, does that look bad?

edit: Now I see I misunderstood, you meant it plays too fast?

Last edited by Noa Put; October 31st, 2008 at 01:16 PM.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:48 AM   #99
Tourist

AVCHD footage plays too fast also

I'm having the same problem with 720/30p AVCHD footage that plays too fast once it's brought in to Final Cut. I was told by Panasonic that of all the modes you can shoot in on the HMC150, PH mode at 720/30p is not yet supported by FCP. All other modes/frame rates are.

So I had to transfer the footage to tape on a different camera.
Glenora Blackshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #100
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the heads up on this. I like everything except the price! I especially like the ability to set focus limits for rack focus shots.

The 521pfi does not include zoom control - you have to buy the 521P to get that. So zoom, focus and iris control is north of $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Jerry:

Update - I have found the HMC-150 will do some amazing rack focus shots. You need this tool:

Bogen / Manfrotto | 521PFI Focus Remote Control | 521PFI | B&H

Well worth it.

Jeff
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #101
New Boot

Hi Everyone
Great Thread as I"m also considering a new camera. Right now I'm shooting with the Sony VX2000 and DSR-250. 2000 is 4 years old and the 250 all decked out is 19lbs. ugh! But I shoot legal video so need the date/time stamp that the 250 has but I don't take the 250 on the road with me. Our trip last March to Europe where I shot some tourist and railfan stuff for DVD's I took the 2000. wish I had a HD cam though. Shot natural light in Budapest's historic metro line. Wonder how this 150 would do?

YouTube - Budapest's Historic Metro Line 1.

Editing with Vegas 8 pro and Final Cut Express on my new MacBook Pro. I'll be upgrading my editing machine to a Mac Pro and Final Cut Studio 2 as well as BootCamp and XP for Vegas.

My 2 majpor concerns, well 3 if you consider editing the AVCHD format, is focus and low light capabilities. I get some fantastic low light shots like in Subways with my 2000.

So how is the 150 in low light? Also I've heard that focusing is critical with the HD cameras. Not a easy as in SD? Most ofmy technical shooting requires me to just lock the focus to infinity. Legal work is a talking head so can get the focus set and leave it alone.

Thanks
Allen

Last edited by Allen Zagel; November 16th, 2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Spelling correction ;-)
Allen Zagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #102
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Zagel View Post
...But I shoot legal video so need the date/time stamp that the 250 has but I don't take the 250 on the road with me. Our trip last March to Europe where I shot some tourist and railfan stuff for DVD's I took the 2000. wish I had a HD cam though. Shot natural light in Budapest's historic metro line. Wonder how this 150 would do?

Editing with Vegas 8 pro and Final Cut Express on my new MacBook Pro. I'll be upgrading my editing machine to a Mac Pro and Final Cut Studio 2 as well as BootCamp and XP for Vegas.

My 2 majpor concerns, well 3 if you consider editing the AVCHD format, is focus and low light capabilities. I get some fantastic low light shots like in Subways with my 2000.

So how is the 150 in low light? Also I've heard that focusing is critical with the HD cameras. Not a easy as in SD? Most ofmy technical shooting requires me to just lock the focus to infinity. Legal work is a talking head so can get the focus set and leave it alone.

Thanks
Allen
1. I believe the 150 has time/date stamp available in the menu.

2. Vegas 8.0c Pro works great with AVCHD HMC-150 material. It would be very slow rendering on a notebook machine. I use 8.0c, no problems there.

3. The auto focus is good, about typical IMO. It's a little slower in 24P. The manual focus tools are pro quality (zoom/outline/focus graph). It's easy to manually focus as needed and the LCD is as big as they get on-camera.

4. The HMC-150 is the most sensitive and lowest noise 1/3" sensor camera currently available. You will have to go to a 1/2" or 2/3" camera to beat the HMC-150. For example, the HMC-150 sensitivity is equal to the 1/2" Sony EX-1.
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM   #103
New Boot

Thanks you Darren!

Hi Daren, i just want to thank you for posting your footage. It was invaluable for me as a test bench with AVCHD/Vegas 8c workflow. It seems pretty sleek, no problem at all... Slower playback than with DV, but so much more resolution! I think all will be sweet with a faster (9550 Quad) cpu , and an HMC150. Can't wait for this one arriving in Canada (next week?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Shroeger View Post
Thanks!!

For those interested, I have shot some test footage in all the framerates and posted it online. It's the first chance to download some production model HMC150 footage onto your own system to assess and play around with.

http://hdmuse.com/HMC150_Test_Footage_Sept_25_2008.zip is the PRIVATE folder right off the card (inside another folder then .zipped)
http://hdmuse.com/HMC150_Test_Footage_Sept_25_2008.rtf is a log of all 32 clips with framerate and duration

Have fun with it everyone!!

-Darren
Bastien Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM   #104
Major Player

I just picked up an HMC 150 last week, as I need two cams for a lot of my shoots lately. It's a very nice cam. Went with it as opposed to a 2nd XHA1 primarily due to the codec, and a concern about how HDV was handling motion when I shot soccer. So far I think it was a very good move, however the controls are very different indeed.

On the Canon, it's easy enough to adjust white balance or gain w/o going full manual. I typically set my gain at -3db, and manually white balance but otherwise have it on automatic.
It looks like on the 150, I cannot do that type of thing? It is either full auto, or full manual without the ability to tweak wb or other parameters while retaining auto exposure, for example.
I read the manual but did not see anything covering this.
Am I missing something?
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM   #105
Tourist

how does the lowlight compare to the hpx 170? is it the same lowlight capabilities, but with the DVC Pro Codec?
Rick Ramirez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders