Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1

I took a couple comparison pictures today comparing the HMC150 to the XH-A1. Before I recieved the HMC150 I was thinking it would be smaller than the A1, however it turns out to be just a little larger.
Attached Thumbnails
Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-img_2939-cropped-ppd-1024size.jpg   Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-img_2945-cropped-ppd-1024-size.jpg  

Old October 8th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Jeff - thanks - interesting comparison.

Now that you have had more time with the Panasonic - what are the 5 main observations that come to mind? Image quality / build quality / audio performance / ergonomics / whatever....
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Trustee

The Canon is a sexier unit, no doubt about that. Seems that Panny is still using the same guys who designed the HVX200 on this one. The HVX was so stubby, bulky and ugly that we nicknamed ours the Bulldog. Wonder what would be a good name for the 150?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Great! Most helpful -- thanks for posting these, Jeff.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If possible, it would be nice to see side by side frame captures of outdoor shots, indoor shots, and nighttime shots. I don't care if a camera looks ugly or not, I only care if it can produce great images or not.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

On a semi-related note, the requested scene files thread is open as well:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/panasonic...le-thread.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Diaz View Post
If possible, it would be nice to see side by side frame captures of outdoor shots, indoor shots, and nighttime shots. I don't care if a camera looks ugly or not, I only care if it can produce great images or not.
Bob Diaz
Here are few captures out of Vegas 8.0c
Attached Thumbnails
Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-a1-0db.jpg   Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-hmc150-0db.jpg  

Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-a1-6db.jpg   Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-hmc150-6db.jpg  

Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-a1-12db.jpg   Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-hmc150-12db.jpg  

Old October 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Note: All testing was done with the HMC150 using the F3 spark scene file and the A1 was using the Vivid RGB scene file. AWB, AF, gain-manual, 1080i, Tv 60 - A1 and Shutter - 60 on the HMC150.

A few more captures. The fish are at 12db gain and the blue tint is accurate:
Attached Thumbnails
Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-a1-boat.jpg   Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-hmc150-boat.jpg  

Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-a1-house.jpg   Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-hmc150-house.jpg  

Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-a1-2-12db.jpg   Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-hmc150-2-12db.jpg  

Old October 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Major Player

A few more camera comparison photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-img_2949-cropped-ppd-1024-size.jpg   Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-img_2951-cropped-ppd-1024-size.jpg  

Size comparison for the HMC150 and Canon XH-A1-img_2964-cropped-ppd-1024-size.jpg  
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #10
New Boot

I have the A1 as well. Even though I think this cam is very poor in low light, it is very good in regular light.

I am puzzled by your frame images. I have never seen the Canon so bad. You should do the same test without the Vivid preset. It almost seems as if the sharpness is turned off and the colors are desaturated.

My images outside are super sharp and colorful outside.

Paul
Paul Therrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Jeff,
I was really expecting a much larger difference in low light between these two. Can you post video samples as well? Also, can you use an A1 preset with NR on for the 12db shots, and maybe reduce the in camera charpening a bit? Thanks for your help. I have the A1 and would love to add this as my third cam... anyway... good stuff That A1 does look dead sexy though. Especially the shot of it standing up on the lens. It looks like a piece of special forces hardware. AWesome!

Bill
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Therrien View Post
I am puzzled by your frame images. I have never seen the Canon so bad. You should do the same test without the Vivid preset. It almost seems as if the sharpness is turned off and the colors are desaturated.

My images outside are super sharp and colorful outside.

Paul
Paul:
I do know what you are saying. I thought the A1 images were below normal so I double checked all the settings and even re-entered the vivid RGB setting. Im positive it was correct and turned on. Some of the images I got that day looked good on the camera LCD but were really muddy and out of focus looking after I imported and looked at them. I threw those out as I knew they were not representative. This was a brand new A1, first use. I will try another one for a few comparison shots. Part of it was the less than ideal lighting conditions, but I would like to rule out any A1 camera setup or problem conditions.

I have made plenty of absolutely stunning A1 images in the past in the right light. I hope to do that soon with both of these cameras to see how they compare at their best. The bottom line is that these cameras are both excellent and very close in performance. I think all the pixel peeping I am doing is just making me paranoid where I can't even just look at a clip and enjoy the content anymore. I just see scan lines, CA, noise, etc.
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Even if there's a settings error in the outdoor shots, I think we can safely say that the HMC-150 does so much better than the A1 under poor lighting. The noise lever differences in the stills was quite a bit.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Jeff - your pixel peeping comments resonate loudly for many of us.

Here is the scenario - you lose both cameras and can have only one - I show up with brand new sealed units - the 150 and the A1 - you can only have one of them for the next year.

Which do you want?
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bolton View Post
Jeff -
Which do you want?
Rick,

I've been following this thread and it would be good to hear from Jeff...since he has both cameras.

I'd love NLE editing(I have the XH-A1).

However, I'm not going to spend $1,200-$2,500 to get there with some sort of external CPU when a card can do the trick. I'll buy another camera before I do that.

I love the Canon zoom capabilities among other capabilities of the Canon to include a great lens/colors.

Maybe the Canon has the edge when it comes to video/zoom capabilities and the Panasonic when it comes to NLE.

I'm interested in Jeff's response as well.

Jeff?
Roger Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders